Real Estate Gurus to Avoid!

It’s been a long time. When I got my Masters I don’t remember if America had converted to the dollar system yet.

[b][/b][i][/i]
I too am a NR student, like robertmcdowell. And I too agree with JeffCT’s earlier post regarding Guru’s teaching REI. I believe most of you are missing the point about this whole topic. Most people go thru all types of education (books, tapes, websites, discussion boards, seminars, etc., etc.) and still never become successful at REI. While a much smaller group will become successful learning from the same sources that most people failed at.
The whole point of my post is, do whatever works for you. For every success story, a person will find 10 “bad mouthers”, cause people who fail love misery. Money is only an issue in the absent of value. If I told you that person “A” paid $10k to learn how to invest, and with that education, he went out and made $100k in the next 2yrs…would ANYONE doubt that 10k was worth it, or it was too much? If you answered YES to that, I can promise ur not successful. Yet if person “B” spends “only” $500 to learn the same material, plus get “more” RE education (cause he refused to pay $10k) and he went out and never did anything in RE…which person would you rather be, A or B?? Good luck if your answer is B!! Again I say, MONEY is ONLY an issue in the absent of VALUE!
The pure #'s prove most people (like 7 out of 10) who try to invest in RE wont be successful. Yet I find it incredible how many people will “bash” someone on here for “paying to much” to learn how to invest successfully. If you learned a successful system that will work over & over, and you have made (or on course to make) much more then you paid (whatever that figure is), then congratulations, you found something that made YOU successful in REI. Just my 2cents! 8)

The only thing I will say with regards to Nouveau Riche is to do your due diligence and research them. Don’t take someones word on a message board.

I love “Flip this house”. They are suppose to come out with “how to” videos soon. I was planning on buying it. I don’t think Ginger is all that bad. She has worked there 5 yrs. but really just doing more office and assistant stuff from an episode I saw. SHe just started doing more property stuff. I always thought of her as a bird-dog. I thought it was great she is able to work for a successful company and get paid.

I do think the construction guy works for them. It’ s a whole team already in place and that’s why I figured they were so successful. No looking for people for each project.

Hey,

All REI is "do-do".

1. Do the homework
2. Do the work
3. Do the due diligence
4. Pay your dues
5. Do what you want to do.

Peace,
Richard

In my experience, here’s another guru to avoid: Marc Garrison and his NAREI (National Association of Real Estate Investors). I went on one of his buying tours in Jacksonville and it was huge rip off. He didn’t teach us anything, nor did he deliver on his promises! Most of the tour was handled by the so-called mentors and a some brokers.

There are better ways to learn than shelling out thousands of dollars to some slick salesman that calls himself a guru. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It was hard-earned lesson and I hope other people don’t make the same mistake I did.

Anyone that wants my money sucks, IMO. The internet, library and the knowledge of friends is free and probably more comprehensive anyway.

Hey guys, what’s the deal with the “take your mentor to lunch” guy, Robert
Ostrander, I think his name is? Worth checking out? Any good/bad experiences??

Have spoke with him a couple times. Very personable. He seems like an average guy who used his head, was creative and made some money. Has some very good ideas and was very easy to talk to.

Thanks.

I haven’t read his book but he is very much an “out-of-the-box” thinker…good guy. He is (or at leas was) a regular poster and a Moderator here (“reoconsultants”) but I haven’t seen him around in a while…

All of the feedback I’ve heard about his book is positive.

Keith

He’s a Moderator & like another Moderator…anything unfavorable written about him will be deleted.

Anyone read Jay DeCima books? I have read 2 of them, and they have a lot of good information, although the prices he gets for houses just don’t work around here LOL!

Why would someone delete anything unfavorable if someone had a bad experience?

I’m not saying I have but if someone did they should be able to tell about it.

Hope I didn’t pi** anyone off thats just what I think. (Which doesn’t really matter anyway) ;D

“Infowell” has had some “issues” with some of the Moderators here via some heated debate. The rules allow negative opinion but no name calling, etc. The posts have to be civil and cannot be construed as advertising.

I personsally have never deleted anything written about me – if you want to embarass yourself by doing that (like twisting words and misquoting, then calling me a racist without knowing the definition), knock yourself out. But…I’m not going to delete anything unless it is a clear rules violation and then I will either say something in the forum about it or send you “the note” that tells you I modified your post due to a rules violation.

But, I can’t and won’t speak for all of the Moderators.

Keith

I had things deleted when I was praising a real estate education group and one of the moderators was being negative about them. What I was saying was my positive experience. Although it did get pretty heated.

WOW!

Erased again!

Wonder if he’ll ever ‘get it?’

This just reflects poorly upon him.

Threats in Private Messages & erasing posts…he’s out of control!

“He’s a Moderator & like another Moderator…anything unfavorable written about him will be deleted.”

Actually there was a whole thread about REOConsultants and his book. Not everyone was all that positive about Robb and one poster claimed ‘first-hand’ knowledge that Robb wasn’t all that, period.

It’s there for everyone to see: http://www.reiclub.com/forums/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=8520;start=0.

There’s another guru thread here where a moderator/guru is going toe-to-toe with a poster, and some not so nice things have been said about him. I won’t post that link, but it is here too.

So obviously it is not true that anything unfavorable written about Robb or another mod will just be erased. I could see unfounded nasties or flat out slanderous accusations removed because they can ruin someone’s professional reputation for no reason, and actually in these cases the mods are doing the flamer a favor because libel and slander in any form can be sufficient grounds for litigation if someone just wanted to ‘go there’.

dukobe8 I suggest that you make use of the search function here and you will learn alot about many of the gurus, Mods or not. I am a newbie and I’m learning a ton from this board and at least one bit of advice from each moderator has been something I can use in my business.

I’ve learned that with quality “guru’s” there are usually plenty of articles, reports and free publications made available by them. This enables me to preview them and their overall style to the point where I can make an informed decision as to whether or not to pursue further education with this person.

IMO it doesn’t take long to figure out who here is right nearly-100% of the time and who is not so hot.

For instance, if you see tax advice from “Dave T” or from “JohnHyre”, you should pay attention…they know what they’re talking about.

Keith

Hi all,
New to this board, glad to see everybody (well mostly, some didn’t support with facts) had some good valid arguements. From my understanding of your posts, it’s important for the people on here to get real products, and it’s also important for some of you to not get screwed by others, it sounds like money, is also important.