Texas, moving there? Help.

We just went to Seville’s Fri. night to check out a band we used to see about 5 yrs ago. I learned to fly at Destin. What a gorgeous setting to fly over. Used to see large groups of sharks near the beach that the people on the land would be very surprised if they knew they were so close. Areas like Gulf Shores/Orange Beach vs. Pensacola vs. Destin goes back to Bluemoon’s theory about living where you can afford a good lifestyle. I would whole-heartedly settle in Pensacola vs. those other areas. Both other areas are very expensive. By living in P’cola, you’re in between and either place is a short drive. Each area has its own unique sites, but P’cola is by far the most affordable. The town is big enough to have anything you want, but doesn’t have big city problems with crime. Just an awesome place. Make sure you guys check out the aviation museum on the base if you go there & you can catch the Blue Angels practicing when they’re in town.

I been meaning to checkout that museum.I may do that soon,my wife has a listing on perdido bay close

by.I’ve seen the blue angels 3 times,it’s so good to see the capabilities of our military.Makes me feel

good every time I see stuff like that.We have awesome machines and military,we should’nt be putting

up with any BS from anyone.

I’ve never been to the panhandle. I’ve heard the beaches are some of the best in the state, I’ll have to go there sometime to see it.

Personally I wouldn’t want to live there because I’ve lived in big cities my whole life and I don’t think I could adjust to it. But that’s just me.

I really wish I would have enrolled in a college >.< . Its probably to late now, and im all set up at a school in Indiana.

Btw, I chose Dallas, im visiting in a few weeks… The humidity in Houston kinda scared me off. Maybe youll see me Chris (ill be wearing my IU hat). I hope I like it there. Ill probably just spend the whole time walking through the city and such.

Hoosier,

Dallas is a great city. Make sure you check out the JFK memorial and the museum attached to it. Walk around the SMU campus as well. Lots of pretty girls your age.

Hoosier,
Since you are already enrolled at college in Indiana in a nursing program, I think it would be the best to just GET THAT DEGREE first. Nurses are in huge demand, they can work anywhere.

We have nurses staying here at our furnished homes from Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, everywhere. They make really big bucks as temporary staff!

If you move to Texas, or Florida, or anywhere out-of-state now, you will probably have to pay out-of-state tuition at college. Which can be huge.

You can travel the world as soon as you get your degree! I’m sure you’re going to leave Indiana. Someday. My vote is to be conservative and get that degree first. But you can vacation anywhere, and make plans.

We’re all rooting for you, Hoosier.

Furnishedowner

Thanks for the encouragement Furnished. Its so tempting to just pack up and go to Texas right now, its to bad I have commitments here. I do plan on going to school here in Indiana for 1 year though, then im off to Texas.

All of you on this board have helped me alot in the last 2-3 years…

Maybe ill see Ron Paul or Mark Cuban sometime… :slight_smile:

Not to get off base,but I think furnished actually said the evil word"conservative"…wow.Bet that hurt to say such a filthy word.

Furnished is correct. Get that nursing degree. My sister is an RN here in Dallas and she makes $38-$45 per hour with shift differential. She works three 12 hour shifts a week and gets paid for 40 hours and IF she wants extra money she will pick up an extra shift every now and then.

Hoosier,
You seem more balanced and thoughtful than a lot of the older, adult posters on this site.

Like sellnbama, who easily registers 10 on the Hate Meter. It’s gotta be hard to live that way.

Furnishedowner

Furnished,
How can not wanting to give up the country I grew up in be classified as hate.Frustrated at sooooo gullible people as yourself,maybe…but not hate.It must be nice to be able to ignore the facts and label someone as hater or racist.Good luck in hope/change ville,us with common sense know this is wrong.I would expect any good businessman such as yourself to know it too. :beer

Josh,
Furnished makes a great point about out of state tuition. Looking back I WISH I would have gone to a cheap community college for the first two years. Instead I went to an out of state school and paid TRIPLE tuition. At the time (mid-90’s), my local community college tuition was $35/credit hour. So I could take most normal classes for $105 plus book fees. My out of state school was somewhere over $100/hr for in state students and well over $300/hr for out of state students. I do not come from a wealthy family, but my parents paid about $500/mo (about all they could do to help out) for my schooling. I lived in the dorms for the first two years (it was required at my school). That was expensive. My third year I lived in a house with roommates and paid my own living expenses. I had some scholarships and the rest was made up with student loans. I left college after 3 yrs and still had accumulated over $30K in student loan debt even with all the things I listed above to help pay the costs. The first two years of any degree are just basic classes that are nearly all the same for whatever degree. You can save yourself tons by going to a local community college and living at home. I justified my methods by saying I’d just simply work too much while trying to go to school if I stayed at home and did the community college thing. I was working about 40 hours a week during my senior year anyway so I didn’t want to do that and try college classes too.
You’re generally looking at a one year residency requirement before you can qualify for in-state tuition. If you’re going to do that, make sure you get a TX driver’s license and establish yourself as soon as you get there.

Furnished,
Not sure Bama’s sarcastic comment was meant to peg your hate-o-meter. I can tell you that you and I agree on pretty much zero when it comes to politics and my belief and devotion to God, but I really respect the business you’ve built, enjoy your posts a lot, and am sure we could get along just fine if we met sometime.

Okay, but the Hate-o-Meter needle pegs over on RED, WARNING! WARNING! whenever I see posts like:

It’s Time to Take it to The Streets!

Reminds me of the L.A. riots and those morons rampaging for no reason other than protest. It’s real easy to tear down, and real difficult to build.

It’s real easy to criticize, and real difficult to build consensus. It’s real easy to label (Liberals are losers, swayed by media, ignorant) and real difficult to listen to another’s point of view. You can’t hear the other person if you are screaming.

When I see posts that begin, “I hate Liberals” I am bothered. I DON’T HATE Republicans, Conservatives, Gun-owners, Religious Know-It-Alls, or the Pro-Life Anti-Abortion Folks. Disagree with them, yes. Hate them, no. Interested in debating them, yes. Interested in being abused by them, no.

I love this country. I vote every time. I had to learn to love it, as I was transported here by my parents as a child, and felt uprooted against my will. But sometimes I get tears in my eyes upon hearing the Pledge of Allegiance. It really means something to me. I have to speak up when people are screwing up their hate so much that they are forgetting the principles we were founded on–Liberty, Freedom for All, and the right to dissent. Peaceably.

Furnishedowner

Take it to the streets,is showing you are tired of it and will be silent no more.You know like a liberal demo.I said nothing of “Riot”.Liberals just always assume when conservatives oppose it will be violent.

Read anything I’ve wrote on here,I’m hoping & preying that day of violence will never come.But we are being ignored.I love the pledge as much as you too.Funny thing is your president had to be reminded of how to pledge alligence,do you remember?

And these czars who were’nt elected that answer to him only, should be enough for anyone to see this is goin the wrong direction.Then makin a deal with russia to cut nukes by 1/3 without congress(aka your voice)is ridiculous.All at a time when nations are a threat w/ nukes to the USA.Get proud,and for freedom’s sake wise up,he is bad for this country…period.

Bama,

They cut the nukes down to 1500 per side. Still plenty of firepower.

Christopher,
I agree we’re still ok(for now).But why is this important during this economic meltdown,same as the closing of gitmo?The czars are ridiculous,and I thought congress was in place to do something.Can’t figure out what exactly,they don’t read bills,losing power to czars,and now obama makes deals with russia without any regard for our voice.

I just question why now,what does this have to do with the economy?How does this make us safe?

I know there are military personel on here,can you tell us why?

Wow. This thread has taken on a new life of its own huh?

Several years ago, we started converting some of our SSBN (nuclear powered ballistic missile submarines) to SSGN (guided missile subs). We haven’t got rid of all of the SSBNs. They’re nicknamed “Boomers” and can be researched online. They are the Ohio class subs which means they will be named after various states rather than cities like the SSN Los Angeles or “LA” class subs. The Boomers are still around and if they’re doing their job properly, no one knows where they are when they’re out to sea. You can bet they’re strategically positioned around the world to take care of business at a moment’s notice. Without saying too much, our relationship with Russia is still strained (along with some other countries we take special interest in). I would look at this move as a way of showing the public he is trying to move in the right direction with our relationship with Russia. There are things we do to other coutries that would cause Americans to come UNGLUED if the other country’s military did to our country. It’s amazing some of the things we get away with and our attitude toward other countries. It’s also amazing some of the technology we have. And before people start throwing the “intelligence” for WMDs, just let me tell you we as a country have some pretty incredible things at our disposal to keep an eye on what’s going on out there.
Remember, President Obama is trying to keep at least some of his campaign promises. Some of the big points for his campaign was vowing to end the war in Iraq and closing Gitmo. Whether you love him or hate him, he has at least shown progress on each of these. Whether this is a good move remains to be seen. So far we’ve seen he can’t spend us out of the recession so I’m sure he’s trying to make some progress on other things instead. I did notice today there was some reporting on his approval ratings plummeting especially in Ohio. I didn’t get to focus too much on what was being reported, but there’s definitely some buzz about it. It was nearly impossible to see where he stood on things in the past because his voting record consisted of many “present” votes rather than yay or nay on different issues. In my opinion, this was simply political posturing to avoid turning off different sections of voters while the mostly liberal media covered up the rest.
Classy post Furnished - and I know what you mean about the pledge. Sometimes the national anthem gets to me as well.

sellnbama shows extreme narrow-mindedness when he begins a sentence with: LIBERALS JUST ALWAYS…

Liberals just always don’t do anything. Liberals are as diverse as can be, remember, they are LIBERAL. You could easier start a sentence with CONSERVATIVES JUST ALWAYS…because Conservatives are way more likely to stick to their CONSERVATIVE ways. But Liberals, hell no.

Also, what’s with that “YOUR PRESIDENT”, sellnbama?! Are you Canadian? French? Maybe Cuban?

Even G.W. Bush was most definitely MY President. I didn’t like it, but it was a fact that I respected. What kind of American are you, anyway, that you want OUR President to fail? If he fails in his policies, ALL America suffers.

President Obama deserves our thanks for taking another step on the path towards a nuclear-bomb-free world by cutting the deal with the Russians. We ALREADY have enough bombs to kill all mankind several times over. Curbing nuclear arms has been on the agenda of every other president for years. It is insanity NOT to limit the number of over-kill weapons out there.

The closing of Guatanamo is absolutely essential. It will help curb the international hatred towards American policies generated by the Bush administration. A civilized country, FORMERLY the Beacon of Liberty in the world, can’t just lock up people WITHOUT TRIALS FOR YEARS AND YEARS and expect other countries to turn a blind eye.

We knew about the Russian Gulag. The world knows about Guatanamo. Those people need to be tried, expatriated, or given sentences to serve in U.S. prisons.

There used to be hundreds of German prisoners of war in my town from Rommel’s Afrika Corps. They were NAZIS! They built stone river banks here from 1942 on. They also built a HAGENKREUZ into one of the stone walls. This did piss off the local populace when it was noticed. But even those Nazis all got repatriated and sent home. If this country can house war-time NAZIS, we can house convicted terrorists who are serving their sentences. Shut it now.

Furnishedowner

Furnishedowner,

“that you want OUR President to fail? If he fails in his policies, ALL America suffers.”

I believe people want his POLICIES to fail BECAUSE it will CAUSE Americans to suffer, and experience a less-fulfilling life with restriction after restriction, and tax after tax imposed upon them in direct CONTRAST to the nations founding…

“President Obama deserves our thanks for taking another step on the path towards a nuclear-bomb-free world by cutting the deal with the Russians. We ALREADY have enough bombs to kill all mankind several times over. Curbing nuclear arms has been on the agenda of every other president for years. It is insanity NOT to limit the number of over-kill weapons out there.”

What you may not realize is that nations who want to do us harm WANT these weapons… What is insane is thinking that by the larger nations removing ALL the nukes form the world (which NO government will do) you will stop those who are intent on getting them…

We have progressed to HAVING nukes as a species BECAUSE nations do not give up their latest “big stick”…

“Liberals just always don’t do anything. Liberals are as diverse as can be, remember, they are LIBERAL. You could easier start a sentence with CONSERVATIVES JUST ALWAYS…because Conservatives are way more likely to stick to their CONSERVATIVE ways. But Liberals, hell no.”

Liberals are pretty consistent with their ideology… lock, stock and barrel… as are most “groups”…

“Also, what’s with that “YOUR PRESIDENT”, sellnbama?! Are you Canadian? French? Maybe Cuban?”

LOL… When it came to GWB, Furnishedowner, I can’t tell you how many times the phrase “YOUR President” came from liberals… that little gem was popularized BY liberals…

“The closing of Guatanamo is absolutely essential. It will help curb the international hatred towards American policies generated by the Bush administration. A civilized country, FORMERLY the Beacon of Liberty in the world, can’t just lock up people WITHOUT TRIALS FOR YEARS AND YEARS and expect other countries to turn a blind eye.”

I see no reason to close Guantanamo… speed up trials, yes, access to council. yes, treated as regular citizens, absolutely NOT! Treated the same as those under legitimate Geneva conventions, no… they have it quite good as imprisonment goes…

But to PAY other countries MILLIONS of dollars to take them is LUDICROUS… if their OWN NATIONS do not want them, what does that tell you about them??? Pay MILLIONS to bring them into our communities?.. just plain stupid… :rolleyes all in an effort to appease those who will NOT be appeased no matter WHAT we do…

To settle something for future posting… Furnishedowner, are you male or female?

Josh,

Have you considered joining the military? Military service will give you the stimulating activities you are looking for, get you out of IN, and let you bank quite a bit of money for college tuition. All the while you are getting job experience which may help you focus your sights on a degree program when you do go to college.

If you decide you like the military, and choose to stay in after your initial enlistment period is up, a $100K re-enlistment bonus (if you are in the right military specialty) will give you quite a bit of investment capital to pursue your real estate goals in your spare time.

Furnished,

Did the local populace remove or obliberate the hakenkreuz or is it still there?