You think I should worry about DoNotCall Registry?

If I call a homeowner or a landlord inquiring about their property(ies), should I worry about DoNotCall Registry?

I wouldn’t worry about it.

From what I understand the DNC applies only to sales solicitations. You are calling to BUY from them, not sell to them.

I think even NAR ruled that a realtor can call an FSBO if they have a buyer for their house.

I could be wrong, but whether you are calling to “buy” or “sell” something, it is still considered a “solicitation”.

I’d look before I leap (check the DNC guidelines)—with fines at 10K per incident, I don’t think you can afford to guess.

Regards,

Scott Miller

It’s not a solicitation if you want to buy and they have an ad to sell.

The imperative is “if they have an ad and something to sell”—the OP made it sound like he was cold calling, which is clearly unsolicited in nature and covered by DNC.

Regards,

Scott Miller

Hmmm, could be taken either way. I assumed he was talking about calling FSBO and FRBO ads.

If not, you can always turn your “solicitation” into a survey and you’re in the clear.

For Take Over Payment investors:
“Hello Mr/Ms Seller, I’m conducting a brief survey of homeowners in the XYZ subdivision. Do you have a minute to answer 3 questions? Great! (1) Are you considering selling your home within the next 6 months? (2) Do you plan on buying first or selling first? (3) If your home doesn’t sell in a timely manner would you consider having an investor take over the payments until they resell it?”

For Cash Investors:
“… (1) Are you thinking of selling within the next 6 months? (2) If there are any repairs needed do you plan on doing them or selling the property as is? (3) If you were offered all cash and a closing date of your choice, what would be the lowest price you would consider?”

Or something to that effect. If you find motivation mail or personally deliver an offer.

Actually I am inquiring about cold calls to the owners of vacant properties.
Their properties aren’t advertised anywhere

If that is the case, then follow my advice and read this for more info:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/tsrcomp.shtm

Regards,

Scott Miller

You could always do it the safe way and just send them a letter. I do it all the time and have never had a problem.

Richard Stephens

Now we are getting close to the formula…

Create a compelling direct response mailer and give them a reason to call—once they call you, they relinquish there DNC rights and DNC becomes a non-issue.

Regards,

Scott Miller

Sending letters is what everyone else would do… You see what I mean ? :smile

From the FTC site:

The amended TSR regulates “telemarketing”— defined in the Rule as “a plan, program, or campaign . . . to induce the purchase of goods or services or a charitable contribution” involving more than one interstate telephone call.

Induce the purchase, seems like inducing a sale of something isn’t defined in that.

Go for it. If they tell you not to call back don’t but send them a postcard or letter thanking them for their time and reminding them of your service.

Do not call had everything to do with people calling at dinner time to sell subscriptions, phone services, and better credit cards. It never said we couldn’t call to say we are looking for a house in the neighborhood and your’s looks interesting to us. Should we be talking?