Which area would you buy a rental in?

There are two areas I have focused my search on in the last few months. The areas each come with their own strengths and weaknesses. I have been looking primarily at 3 family homes because they generate the best cash flow. The properties and areas I have been looking at differ as follows:

Example of Area 1 (very rough neighborhood - but good rental market b/c college town) asking price is $210,000
Gross rent $2400 per month (2 of 3 units rented)

Debt Coverage Ratio
Capitalization Rate
9.7%
Annual Cash Flow
$4,912
“Computed Internal
Rate of Return”
35.9537%
Net Monthly Cash In Pocket
$609.34
Cost per Unit
$73,333.33
Cost Per Sq Foot
$64.33

Area 2 - (less of a rental base - better area)
Purchase price of $187,000 (full asking price)
Gross rent $2300 per month (3 units rented)

Debt Coverage Ratio
Capitalization Rate
9.6%
Annual Cash Flow
$4,460
“Computed Internal
Rate of Return”
36.9225%
Net Monthly Cash In Pocket
$563.34
Cost per Unit
$70,000.00
Cost Per Sq Foot
$61.40

All other things being equal…any thoughts on what would be a better deal?

You’ve left out factors like “management”…

Are either near you? Are they in the same town (as you or as each other?)?

Why is one shown having a vacany and the other full? Is a vacancy a norm? Is the gross rent that you show based on 100% occupancy or on the 67% percent occupancy?

In regards to the neighborhoods, how rough is “very rough” – like YOU wouldn’t want to live there rough or “dont go there at night rough” or “make sure you’re ‘packing’ rough”…or…?

All other factors being exactly equal, I would chose the better area. I personally will not invest in a place where either me or my partner (wife) would feel threatened to go. But, that’s me…

Keith

Keith,

Area 1 is appx. 15 minutes from my house
Area 2 is appx. 45 minutes from my house

The Gross Rents are based on 10% vacancy so 1 unit is estimated

In terms of rough…I am pretty much a wimp when it comes to venturing into any neighborhood that I don’t know. I woulden’t feel comfortable walking around at night…but I would not need a weapon to go into the area.

The only advantage that Area 1 has that Area 2 dosen’t is a strong college rental market…one of my biggest fears is getting a property that we cannot rent. Any thoughts on buying a property that isn’t fully rented? Am I comparing the right calcuations…I just started really working with these finance terms. I have a pretty good understanding of what these numbers mean…but just want to make sure I am doing it right.

As a random aside…how do you like working with your wife as a partner. My husband and I are just starting our adventures in REI? Any inspiration, advise or words of wisdom…

My Answer is Both diversify!!! By both then when one is vacant the cash flow off the other helps you recover some of that!