where will the baby boomers move to?

2010 is fast approaching. In my town, there are over 190 houses for sale and it seems that about 70% of the sellers are over 58 years old.

people are moving to the coast; read last month’s National Geographic. I read this article this weekend while laying on my couch after taking 5600 lbs of construction debris to the dump (it was 105F there at 10am; the joys of SoCal desert properties.) Anyways, they have graphs and charts! Check it out.

What does “2010” have to do with anything? 2007 and 2015 are approaching also…?

Keith

BTW - I’m still waiting for the personal jetpack that I was promised in the 21st Century!

See
http://www.reiclub.com/forums/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=17641

I tend to agree with Keith. Just because there will be a lot of people retiring doesn’t mean everyone will move or to the same place. On the east coast the sterotypical place for retirees is Florida but don’t expect a mass migration.

I just brought it up because the wsj has run a series in recent weeks about the types of houses and communities retirees are moving to. I apologize for the idle 2010 reference, but it was not intended to conjure up images of the antediluvian sci-fi movie. Rather, it’s the year that will experience record retiring in this country and may not be equaled for decades, if ever.

Thanks for the responses.

Ahhhh…it seemed a date plucked from air…makes more sense now!

This phenomena is also prevalent in the Federal Government sector where a HUGE percentage of the workforce is aging and is either retirement eligible or will be in the next 5 years…this is expected to cause a huge knowledge vacuum caused by hte “brain drain”…

Keith

:smiley:

I wasn’t aware they worked to begin with.

The bad part is I lost my crystal ball. So now I work off of my 8 ball that I bought at “toys r us”

If you have any questions for it let me know and I will ask it.

Here I will try this.

“Will the boomers move to Africa?”

and the ball says

not likely ask again later!

Hummmm maybe I should start marketing this idea.

so I guess it is fair to say do not buy houses in Africa!

Hey wait this is post 1400

“Mr. Ball will I ever catch up with Keith or Tedjr?”

“Not in this life time”

Robb - If you ever get bored of fishing, you can always try “Last Comic Standing”. ;D