where do I get the closing documents

I know this it’s really basic but where do I get the documents to buy a home from someone? And what are the steps I should follow If I use Hml and by owner or if I use sub2 from owner are they different at all in process?

It depends on what state you are in but in general the financing does not dictate closing, state law does. The HML will have all the required documents. I would always recommend that you close through a title company nomatter what kind of deal. Can you imagine your shock if you buy the house and find out you don’t have clear title.