What should I do, pleas help

Im a 16 year old who has been interested in Real Estate since ive been 13. Im having alot of trouble figuring out what I should do as far as college/carrer goals. I want to do Real Estate full time, and that is what I will do.

I really don’t want to go to college to just figure out that I wasted 2-4 years getting a degree for something that I am never gonna use. Real estate is my passion, its the only thing I want to do, I could talk to my friends about it for hours(if they were interested to, which they arent lol).

So I guess my question is,

Should I go to college(just for the saftey of always having a decent job) or should I go straight into Real Estate as being a Realtor, then working onto getting my own properties?

I have a theory about college. (I may be wrong)

Go to college to get hired for a job. Getting hired means not being self employed. Not being self employed means you’ll most likley never get to where you want to be in life.

Obviously this is a personal decision that will differ on peoples opinions, but I really am interested to see what you guys think I should do.

Hoosier,
First I want to commend you for having a focus of what you want to do. Many people never even figure that out.
However, with that said you never everwaste time with education. When I graduated high school I had no appreciable skills, I was good working with hands, and didn’t mind hard work, but had absolutely no desire to go on any further in school because I didn’t feel it would help me at that time. So I joined the US Air Force and traveled the world. As I did this and spoke to people I started to realize how important futhering my education would be.
I went to night school and obtained an associate degree in applied science and and a bachelor degree in Industrial management.
I now own my own business rehabbing, renting aand selling homes. How do these degrees help in this or did I just waste my time? No, I did not waste time, because the degrees open doors that normally wouldn’t have, plus it you confidence that you can learn anything and accomplish anything.
Also, I use many of the I learned in college I still use. Such as, writing business plans for bank funding, public speaking, math and computer skills, business skills.
As you can see I did not waste time, in fact I don’t if I would be a company owner and have any success if I had not gone on completed my education.

I hope you spend the next 2 years learning and enjoying your young life and make plans to go to college and not waste your time and mind at home.

Good luck, knowledge is power.

Joe

I wish I had your plan when I was 16.

Why not do both though? Unless you were born into money, you’re going to have to start small in REI and work your way up anyway.

Start saving $ and establishing good credit now! Get a single credit card, use it from time to time on some small things, that you know you can pay off quickly, and actually PAY THEM OFF QUICKLY! By the time you graduate H.S… you will have 2 years history of on time payments. Keep doing this through college. Don’t get caught up in the instant gratification mind set we Americans tend to have. That video game, new car, and all those dvd’s won’t be worth anything a year from now. However, if that same amount of $$ was invested in stocks or saved, it will be worth much more a year from now. Save as much money as you can starting now! 20, 50, 100 dollars here and there add up real quick.

Go to college for business management. By the time you graduate, you will have excellent credit, a good chunck of start up money, and the know how to use the first two things to make you an owner instead of a worker.

I’m 30 and I’m just now figuring that out. Just now starting to get out of the rat race.
By the time you’re 30, you’ll be the owner of the track all the other mice are racing on.

Some quotes I saw on here today…

• “The Best money you will ever invest is the money that you invest in your personal development. Dedicate yourself to the learning process”

• “Knowledge is NOT power. Power is the application of knowledge.” - Roger J

“If you will spend a couple of years doing what other people won’t do,
you can spend the rest of your life living the way other people can’t live.”
~ Jim Napier

Damn, I wish I knew about this site when I was 16

Hoosier,

Another reason to get your college education is that life is long. The vast majority of people who start a business (including a REI business) fail in a short period of time. Even if you are successful with your REI business, you may still want to do something else during your lifetime. Having a college degree says to the world that you were able to accomplish something. You went to college and you got a degree. You are persistent and at least somewhat intelligent. A college degree opens doors.

Finally, as KennethMarshall said, going to college does not exclude you from starting your REI career. You can go to college and start your new business.

Good Luck,

Mike

I would go to college for a business degree, if real estate is your career of choice, because you will eventually want to open your own brokerage and the degree will prepare you for that. You can practice real estate from college, while you go to college. Also, the business degree is easier to get when you are young. All of your college friends will be looking to by their first homes and they need a professional to help them to achieve that dream, and who better than someone they know and trust.

Here’some facts that very few people discuss with budding entrepreneurs.

No college usually means you work with your hands.

I started out as a carpenter in construction. Everything I’m about to tell you is from first hand experience. Learning how to make money in construction has without doubt helped to make me a successful real estate investor. I know how it’s built, how long it takes to build, and how much it should cost to build. Having said that, a banker could learn the same thing, while making a lot more money, and never getting his hands dirty. There’s nothing wrong with getting dirty, I still do it, but as I get older it becomes less enjoyable.

That leads me to my next subject. The REAL costs of working for your self. Let’s start off with health care insurance. Your 16 now, healthy as you will ever be. That will not be the case forever. Monthly health insurance costs for a family run about $2000/month. That includes doctors visits, drug co-pays, everything. Now add in your mortgage payment, car loan, utlilities, insurance for you business, ect. This is the stuff that makes being your own boss a 1 out of 10 success story. Most new businesses fail.

About 10 years ago I received a projected cost analysis from Blue Cross. They showed how much they predicted my health insurance would increase over the next 20 years. By the time I’m 50 I would have been paying about $3000/month for coverage, at the exact time I would need it most.

Here’s my point. I would NEVER talk anyone out of working for themselves, it’s great. But…there’s the easy way to set yourself up and the hard way. Go to college and get an education in something you can use. I’ll tell you what I’d do if had another chance. I major in Civil Engineering, perfect for a budding real estate baron. Think about it. You want to get into developing entire sub-divisions? YOU can do your own engineering work. Take it from me, what ever you spend getting that degree you’ll have back the first time you lay out one of these babies. Commercial rentals, no problem, nothing like knowing your way around drainage culverts and city zoning requirements. Find a nice parcel of land but no engineering has been done? Not a problem for you!! And finally the best part of all. You can hang a shingle out in front of your first commercial property and SELL people your time! Or work for a engineering firm, have them pay for your benefits while you build a real estate fortune.

There’s a million ways to do this. What you need to determine is which method gives you the highest probability for success. In my opinion rolling the dice on an all or nothing, make or break, no college try is really a waste of your time. I know a guy who bird dogged houses WHILE going to college. Talk about getting the most bang for your buck! This kid went on to get a Civil Engineering degree and 10 years later, through some good moves, he’s a millionaire. He owns about 8 commercial buildings, did all the Engineering himself, purchased some of the land super cheap BECAUSE it had no engineering done on it and the rest is history.

Good luck

So, would I be best off going to get a Business degree or a Engineering degree? I can see positives to both. Purdue for Engineering or Indiana University for Business.

Thsi is just my personal opinion. If real estate is where your going to go, then the Engineering degree is priceless. Think about it, you’ll be fully qualified to not only run big construction projects but also learn the BUSINESS side of it while getting paid very well. I’ve been a project manager on some big construction projects. There is no better training on the planet for real estate. You have it all represented.
Cost analysis, scheduling, enigineering, dealing with sub-contractors, payment draws. Your doing this WHILE getting paid! Ask around, but from what I’ve seen you better paln on gong to grad school if you plan on getting any type of good job with a business degree. Engineering students almost always have full time job offers by their junior year.

I know you don’t want a career working for someone else. I commend that. The point I’m trying to make here is there’s an easy way to do this and a hard way. I did it the HARD way, it sucked. If I were your age now, it’d be Civil Engineering all the way. Walk out of school with a $50K a year job and knowledge it took me 15 years to get. (and I spent way more money than your going to pay for that degree, believe me) You think college is expensive?? Try my alma mater, The school of hard knocks, THE most expensive school in the world. Because you learn by losing your own MONEY. You’ll going to learn by losing someone elses!

Here’s the deal.
Full time professional life is for later.
Enjoy the time in college and worry less about whether you’re going to learn what you need to make money.
University… it’s supposed to give you a rounded education. You’ll learn things you didn’t know you wanted to learn about. It should open doors.
You can get your real estate license and dabble in real estate. You could become an accomplished professional before graduating from college.

When I entered college, I didn’t know I’d end up in a study abroad program. I studied at an american university in France for a year and learned more there than years of university would teach.

Enjoy life and don’t be in a hurry to give up more years in school. Those years are usually fun and interesting and they don’t prevent you from practicing real estate.

Do both. Don’t miss college. There’s plenty to learn about the world first.

Im gonna be straight up, Im not one of those kids whos really good with tools and fixing stuff. So im kind of timid on getting a job that requires using your hands.

I couldnt replace a car engine to save my life.