what is the quickest way to evict?

I found an apt uses drugs. and they also knocking the doors of other apartments, trying to
spread the problem. what is the quickest way to evict? I have already filed rent and possession
suit because they haven’t paid the rent. but I need to wait 20 days for the court day. I can not wait,
other good tenants told me there are lots of traffic after 9:00, can I go there and wait , once they
start drug party and I call police to catch them and get them out of my propety??

please share your experience! thank you a lot!!

There is really no short cut. If you are evicting them for non-payment of rent, that is usually the fastest way to get them out. I would tell the other tenants to call the police if the druggies make too much noise or otherwise disturb them. Go talk to the police and request that they ARREST the scumbags! Unfortunately, when they are arrested for drug possession or even dealing drugs, they will usually spend no more than 1 night in jail.

This is all a normal part of the rental business. Keep the pressure up and evict the losers!

Just be careful! You would be shocked how many of these low life druggies are packing! They won’t be happy that you are trying to ruin their fun and possibly their business! Be aware of your surroundings and protect yourself!

Good Luck,

Mike

yes that is a tuff one! propertymanager is right, they are prob. “packing”. You have already spent the money on the eviction process, you Midas well just wait it out, your life is worth a lot more! You probably already pi**ed them off by filing the eviction, (the nerve of you wanting to get your rent!) :bobble

I had a druggie in a tri-plex, I offered him 200.00 to just move out. I told him- I know he is doing and dealing and I “felt” for his situation. I encouraged him to get help and told him he is better than that- (yea right) but he saw me as compassionate, and although he didn’t move out by the weekend, he was out in a week. (he had to find somewhere else to move to)

I had a druggie in a tri-plex, I offered him 200.00 to just move out. I told him- I know he is doing and dealing and I "felt" for his situation. I encouraged him to get help and told him he is better than that- (yea right) but he saw me as compassionate, and although he didn't move out by the weekend, he was out in a week. (he had to find somewhere else to move to)

Do NOT try to make deals with druggies or other deadbeats. Paying someone to leave shows your other tenants that you are a weak landlord and deserve to be abused. Paying people to steal from you is a TERRIBLE IDEA!

Mike

thank you very much Mike !

the people I want to evict is on month-to-month lease , on the 1st of Oct I post a 30-day lease termination notice on their door. To guarantee they have to leave by the end of the month, I filed rent-and-possession suit on the 2nd, with reason that I didn’t receive their rent on the 1st.

you are right Mike, I need to protect myself. and what I decide to do is to hide somewhere near the building, once the party begins, i will call 911 and have police officer knocking their door, breaking their fun, at least pass a message to those losers, my place is not safe for them to do drugs. I will never appear to let them know I am the reason why cops show up.

Your lease, if it is any good at all, should have a clause forbidding tenants to become involved in illegal activity. If that is the case, you have two options:

• Good in any case - Contact the tenant. Tell them you’ve been presented with convincing evidence that they have been “involved” in drugs. Tell them if they leave within 7 days and leave the place clean and in good shape you will return their deposit and give them an extra $300.
  1. If they refuse then hand them a 3 day notice to quit for violating their lease.

BTW - check your local laws - some areas, especially if drugs are involved, allow provisions for immediate eviction if the tenants are involved in activities that are illegal or are a danger to themselves, other residents or the property. You might be well advised to get a good real estate lawyer to see if there is an emergency eviction process for your state.

Check your state’s public nuisance laws. You may be able to get a temporary restraining order removing them in a few days.

1) - Good in any case - Contact the tenant. Tell them you've been presented with convincing evidence that they have been "involved" in drugs. Tell them if they leave within 7 days and leave the place clean and in good shape you will return their deposit and give them an extra $300.
  1. If they refuse then hand them a 3 day notice to quit for violating their lease.

Donald has already started the eviction, so handing them a 3-day notice is absolutely pointless. In addition, paying someone $300 extra for violating your lease and doing illegal drugs is simply foolish. What does that say to your other tenants who are doing things right? What does that say to other potential applicants. It says that they should also break the lease/violate the law, and the WEAK LANDLORD will pay them off! This is a TERRIBLE precedent to set and HORRIBLE ADVICE!!!

BTW - check your local laws - some areas, especially if drugs are involved, allow provisions for immediate eviction if the tenants are involved in activities that are illegal or are a danger to themselves, other residents or the property.

I’m not aware of ANY state that allows for IMMEDIATE EVICTION. Could you tell me which state you are referring to and cite the law involved? Many states (including Ohio) do have laws that allow for somewhat expedited court proceedings, but the tenant will still get their day in court. In addition, you still must prove that they are doing drugs. In this case, that has not happened. Have the tenants been convicted of a crime? Have they even been arrested for drugs in the building? Have the police sent a letter to the landlord identifying these tenants as drug dealers? If not (and Donald certainly didn’t say so), then trying to evict them under an expedited drug law is pointless.

Donald is doing the best that can be done. He’s already filed the eviction for non-payment of rent. He is doing everything right!

Mike

Here in NYC, and the neighboring counties, there are situtations requiring “emergency disposess”, situations involving health and safey issues. Here in NYC, the building’s dept simply puts a notice on the door preventing a tenant from even going back in. A tenant can leave for work in the morning, and find he cannot gain entry at night.

This is used widely to evict tenants from illegally converted units around here.

A realtor I was working with sold a SFH to an investor for a rehab. Formerly the house was uses as a "rooming house, illegally, in a residential district. They had problems kicking the last several tenants out.

So the realtor told me they plan to call code enforecement and report an illegal “rooming house”, in which case an emergency disposssess is declared. The way he put was “we’re calling the cops or oursleves”.

If a tenant failed to pay for utilities such as electric or gas, had the utilities cut off, still lives in there, an emergency dispossess can be declared.

Here in NYC, and the neighboring counties, there are situtations requiring "emergency disposess", situations involving health and safey issues.

That does not sound like an eviction but more of a building code violation.

Mike