Visiting from another country - Can I be your tenant?

I placed my home on the internet for rent. I received two folks from the UK who want to rent it. This sounds like a scam to me. Has anyone received this type of feed back - is this a scam or what?

Hello,
I really appreciate your response. like i have said in my first email, I would be coming over from the UK to the states for the exhibition of my project and i feel it will be safer and cheaper to go for your House

After much said, my sponsor has agreed to send the payment to you immediately through a courier service in form of a certified check which is the payment for the 1st month rent and deposit. my move in date is going to be on the of 8th of September

I also want you to know that i will like to rent this house for a period of 1 year and i will be paying my rent on every 1st day of the new month.if it might be in your interest that you would be getting a certified check in an excess amount in which after deducting your original amount for the rent you are going to remit the balance back to me via western union because the balance is meant for my travelling amd feeding allowances and some other personal expenses. i would want you to get back me with the information listed below so that the payment can be send to you asap.
FULL NAME THAT WILL BE WRITTEN ON THE CHECK.
CONTACT ADDRESS;
MOBILE PHONE NUMBER
HOME PHONE NUMBER. i hope you understand all my explanations, thanks for your undertsanding and cooperation and have a wonderful day.
Martin

Scam, I’ve received tons…and my ads weren’t even for rentals. That just shows you how much they actually read what they are replying to.

If you have to ask

lately i’ve been getting a bunch of spam…and this looks pretty similar…

basically…anyone asking you for your info FIRST, is a scammer…if anything…tell him to send you a certified check…and all of his contact info

I think the real key to this is that he’s going to send you a check and he wants you to pay him through Western Union…You’ll never get that money back from Western Union, and the check will turn out to be worthless…Saw something on 60 Minutes or Dateline on this type of deal, but it wasn’t about real estate…I’m surprised he only wants your name and address, although it might be one way to tell his cohorts about a vacant house…

Definitely a scam.

There’s many variations of it, but usually, people fall for ceritfied checks since it looks rock solid, but in these scams, it’s forgery. The key is it takes several weeks for your bank your to find out there’s no such account on the other end, comes back to you weeks later and take the money out of you account.

Just all the scams call for some refund by “Western Union”, since GOOD FUNDS are remitted electronically. So they give you a BAD FORGERY that would takes weeks for you to find out, in exchange for immediate good money sent electronically.

Seen many posts of people scammed, with other variations being people selling cars on Craigslist, receives a cerifited check, in some cases MORE than the amount of the car, and signs over the car. In the case I seen where the checks was for an amount larger than the car, the scammer said he wanted to buy the car, and needed some money for gas and other expenses to get back home.

I saw a “Dateline” investigation. and they traveled to London to meet the scammers. If you fall for such a scam, they’ll tell you on the way to that home of yours that they lost their wallet and other valuables, and please “western union” some more money so they can safely move in. That’s what happened to the “Dateline” investigator on the way to meet the scammer. The scammer lost his wallet, and needed some travel money.

Who needs real estate investing and/or a real job. Everybody should be doing this!!

Dear Sir/Madam, My name is Williams Jefferson.The Marketing and Strategy staff of Westpaint fabrics Ltd, Westpaint fabrics Limited is a UK company, We supply Fabrics & textiles worldwide . We have reached big sales volume in the Europe and now we are trying to penetrate the US market. Quite soon we will open representative offices or authorized sales centers in the US and therefore we are currently looking for people who will assist us in establishing a new distribution network there. The fact is that despite the US market is new for us we already have our regular clients.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FOR US?
The international money transfer tax for legal entities (companies) in UK is 25%, whereas for the individual it is
only 7%.There is no sense for us to work this way, while tax for international money transfer made by a private
individual is 7% .That’s why we need you! We need agents to receive payment for our tools in money orders,
cheque or bank wire transfers and to resend the money to us via Money Gram or Western Union Money Transfer.
This way we will save money because of tax decreasing.

JOB DESCRIPTION?

1. Receive payment from Clients
  2. Cash Payments at your Bank
  3. Deduct 10% which will be your percentage/pay on
    Payment processed.
  4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to
    any of the offices you will be contacted to send payment to

HOW MUCH WILL YOU EARN?
10% from each operation! For instance: you receive 7000 USD via cheques or money orders on our behalf.
You will cash the money and keep $700 (10% from $7000) for yourself! At the beginning your commission
will equal 10%, though later it will increase up to 12%!

ADVANTAGES
You do not have to go out as you will work as an independent contractor right from your home office. Your job is
absolutely legal. You can earn up to $3000-$4000 monthly depending on the time you will spend for this job.
You do not need any capital to start.You can do the Work easily without leaving your home and it will not be affecting
your present Job. The employees who make efforts and work hard have a strong possibility to become managers.
Anyway our employees never leave us.

MAIN REQUIREMENTS
18 years or older legally capable responsible ready to work 2-4 hours per week, with PC knowledge e-mail
and internet experience (minimal).

Immediately I receive a mail indicating your interest,I shall communicate with you and explain further
to you how everything goes, and please do not hesitate to ask any question.

Thanks and regards,
Williams Jefferson
http://textileslimited.wetpa.com

:deal

3 things strike me on this:

1. The website at the bottom of the scammer’s, er, correspondent’s letter is a domain that’s for sale.

2. His name is Williams Jefferson…Take off the “S”, add Clinton, and you have our last president’s name…Is this like a private joke he’s making to himself?

3. IT’S A SCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM…

I never saw that one before but it doesn’t matter cuz I’m gonna make millions as soon as my Nigerian friend forwards the treasury’s billions to me, right after I send him some money…

:bobble