Using agents to get comps

Should people really rely on agents to run accurate comps? Why do investors advise me to rely on agents to get comps for free? Whenever I suggest doing my own comps I am advised to turn to agents for help is a better choice. That is not all the way true in my case. I have asked quite a few agents to run comps for me. They either say they have no knowledge about the area or they are just flat out not interested in helping me get comps on properties I don’t plan to buy from them. My mission is to assign contracts for a fee. They think I am the one buying the properties upfront with my own money and I am not. I don’t want to reveal I am a wholesaler to a real estate agent. Besides agents can only provide comps on listed properties like the ones listed in the MLS. At least that is what one agent told me why she could not run comps for me.

If I was to get a home under contract directly from the private seller, would it be any use to use a sellers agent if I am selling the property as a wholesaler? If that is even possible, agents will then be more than willing to help me with good comps on homes not listed in the MLS.

Hi,

Tbodley let me put this in simple terms, comps you may get from any free site on the internet are not accurate and when it comes to making money on a property getting wrong information for value can cost you money and cost you the deal! You can get fairly accurate information for comp's from a few of the data resource companies but you will also pay over $1k a year for a data feed service.

Tbodley only 1 in every 10 real estate agents knows anything about investing or how it works and really only 6 or 7 in a hundred agents really know what there doing with reguards to serving investors!!! How do you build a relationship? Hi my name is Tbodley! Are you married? Do you have children? How many and how old are they? How long have you lived in Alabama? What does your husband / wife do for a living? Where do your kids go to school? Are you involved in the PTA? What kind’s of thing do you enjoy doing? Are you a golfer? Do you hunt or fish? Where did you go to college? Are your parents in the area? Do you have siblings?

Be prepared to answer and tell about you, where you come from and what your all about???

These are all conversation idea’s to build relationships!!!

I do a lot of things for my friends! I don’t do much for someone who asks me something whom I do not know! However I am willing to get to know new friends!

The MLS system can give information and accurate data on listed, pending, sold and expired listings going back years! With the proper search quary information can be garnered about the market, market trends and whether the market is strong or soft!

Why don’t you want to tell a real estate agent your a wholesaler???

My agents; and I use multiple agents, as I buy in Arizona as well as Maine, and I buy in Tucson as well as Kingman! Entirely different markets and hundreds or thousands of miles apart! I give my agent friends referals for listings, use them for deals from private parties where I can insert my own agent, refer my agent to previous contacts who need to sell their home retail, and occasionally buy something through my agent just to use them for a commission!

I have offered about a thousand times to help you, every time I offered you summarily dismissed my offer so don’t complain to hard about your current position as your the one making it tough on your self! Your taking real estate investing and making it about a million times harder than it needs to be! All you have to do is follow direction and commit to the long term goal of learning and practicing real estate investing methods and doing what it takes for days, weeks, months or years for what ever it takes to be successful!

I by the way am withdrawing my offer to help, you have had numerous opportunities and have chosen to go it alone! I also have never charged a dime to ever help a fellow investor, you would know this if you bothered to ask???

Good luck Tbodley, your going to need it!!!

Sincerely,

Gold River

Why don’t you want to tell agents you are a wholesaler? I put that to the test to just to see what the response would be. And you know what Gold River? They cannot stand wholesalers. Some agents said wholesalers are a waste of time to work with. Agents went on how they don’t want to work with wholesalers because they know wholesalers will never close on a deal. That and a lot more negative comments directed torwards wholesalers. One agent in particular was almost bragging how much more money agents make compared to what wholesalers make and all the more advantages agents have over wholesalers.

Yes I do remember you telling me you don’t charge a dime for help, which is a good thing. I been holding something back from you for quite a while now, which is why I never accepted your offer to help me. I’ll tell you why. Correct me if I am wrong about you. You sound like a yeller when you respond with this >!!! I would be afraid to talk to you over the phone if that is your tone. I bet you would be yelling, which can be discouraging for me to accept help. The minute I ask something you don’t like to hear, you seem like you would lose patience and go off. If I am more than wrong about you on any of this, I would accept your offer to help. I feel less discouraged to accept help from somone who is not angry. Like I said correct me if I am wrong about you.

quote author=Gold River link=topic=51801.msg254392#msg254392 date=1328861884]
Hi,

Tbodley let me put this in simple terms, comps you may get from any free site on the internet are not accurate and when it comes to making money on a property getting wrong information for value can cost you money and cost you the deal! You can get fairly accurate information for comp's from a few of the data resource companies but you will also pay over $1k a year for a data feed service.

Tbodley only 1 in every 10 real estate agents knows anything about investing or how it works and really only 6 or 7 in a hundred agents really know what there doing with reguards to serving investors!!! How do you build a relationship? Hi my name is Tbodley! Are you married? Do you have children? How many and how old are they? How long have you lived in Alabama? What does your husband / wife do for a living? Where do your kids go to school? Are you involved in the PTA? What kind’s of thing do you enjoy doing? Are you a golfer? Do you hunt or fish? Where did you go to college? Are your parents in the area? Do you have siblings?

Be prepared to answer and tell about you, where you come from and what your all about???

These are all conversation idea’s to build relationships!!!

I do a lot of things for my friends! I don’t do much for someone who asks me something whom I do not know! However I am willing to get to know new friends!

The MLS system can give information and accurate data on listed, pending, sold and expired listings going back years! With the proper search quary information can be garnered about the market, market trends and whether the market is strong or soft!

Why don’t you want to tell a real estate agent your a wholesaler???

My agents; and I use multiple agents, as I buy in Arizona as well as Maine, and I buy in Tucson as well as Kingman! Entirely different markets and hundreds or thousands of miles apart! I give my agent friends referals for listings, use them for deals from private parties where I can insert my own agent, refer my agent to previous contacts who need to sell their home retail, and occasionally buy something through my agent just to use them for a commission!

I have offered about a thousand times to help you, every time I offered you summarily dismissed my offer so don’t complain to hard about your current position as your the one making it tough on your self! Your taking real estate investing and making it about a million times harder than it needs to be! All you have to do is follow direction and commit to the long term goal of learning and practicing real estate investing methods and doing what it takes for days, weeks, months or years for what ever it takes to be successful!

I by the way am withdrawing my offer to help, you have had numerous opportunities and have chosen to go it alone! I also have never charged a dime to ever help a fellow investor, you would know this if you bothered to ask???

Good luck Tbodley, your going to need it!!!

Sincerely,

Gold River

[/quote]

I think you are going about this the wrong way. I have met gold river personally, and he knows his stuff, so I am vouching for him. as far as the realtor goes, how are you introducing yourself? are you dealing with Keller Williams and remax agents? if not, you should. it doesn’t matter what you so with a property, after you get it institute contract. you need the right realtor with the right mindset. zillow and other free sites are good for giving you rough estimates and that’s about it. other than that, that’s about it. I will write more later when my phone is recharged. I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

It look like we have a new kid on the block looking for something free.

I can sympathize with tbodley74 somewhat. I have heard some gurus say that “Don’t tell realtors that you are a wholesaler” because some realtors find wholesalers as competition and do reply back in a negative manner. idhomebuyer recommends working with Keller Williams and Remax agents. I guess they are more investor friendly? I have never worked with realtors before because I wasn’t sure how to go about doing it. But I think I will take idhomebuyer’s & Gold River’s advice since they are probably more experienced than I am.

Yes I do remember you telling me you don't charge a dime for help, which is a good thing. I been holding something back from you for quite a while now, which is why I never accepted your offer to help me. I'll tell you why. Correct me if I am wrong about you. You sound like a yeller when you respond with this >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bash ;D ;D ;D

Tbodly,

I was a Real Estate Appraiser for 11 years and I appraiseed in some of the most difficult areas of Los Angeles. I know VALUE like the back of my hand an I’m not afraid to say I was one of the best out there. People came to me with the hardest deals possible and 99.9% I go them done. When I say difficult I mean complex appraising due to the varying areas and unique homes from street to street and area to area. My areas were Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Malibu, Bel Air, Pacific Palisades etc. During my entire time Appraising Realtors always tried to give me their Comps and I think in 11 years of Appraising, I used Comps from a Realtor once because there was nothing else out there. My point here is…just know…Realtors SUCK at pulling Comps. They have to much skin in the game or in your case they don’t have enough so they will not bother. There are public places that have great Comps and very accurate information if you know what to look for. Some are obvious which have been mentioned in some of these posts, but outsiders(Non-Appraiser) don’t know what to look for or how to use them properly, even though it is right under there nose. How do I know? Because I have use them extensively to complete full appraisals for banks, lenders of all types, and for the exact same people on here telling you to get Realtors to pull your comps lol! Message me and I will tell you some stuff.

RE:to get Realtors to pull your comps lol! I can tell you some stuff.

Hello Tbodly,

I am new to this forum and I enjoyed reading your post. Could you share info about getting comps and above mentioned stuff?

Thanks, Kitty