Two More Articles About Possible Methane Explosion in Gulf of America

Here are two more articles about a possible buildup of methane gas under the sea floor in the Gulf of Mexico. More interesting than the possibility of a world-wide disaster from such an explosion is the level of dangerous chemicals found in the air (before the news blackout on such matters).

Recently, the EPA measured hydrogen sulfide at more than 1,000 parts per billion (ppb) -- well above the normal 5 to 10 ppb. Some benzene levels were measured near the Gulf of Mexico in the range of 3,000 to 4,000 ppb -- up from the normal 0 to 4 ppb. Benzene gas is water soluble and is a carcinogen at levels of 1,000 ppb according to the EPA

Here are the links:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dk-matai/gulf-of-mexico-danger-of_b_619095.html

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339-doomsday-how-bp-gulf-disaster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event

For the record, no - I’m not predicting anything - just posting the news.

propertymanager,
This time I agree with you that we need to be concerned. Hugely concerned.

Yet, we can’t do a darn thing about it. This time reminds me of watching Mt. St. Helens in Washington State prior to the volcanic eruption. No one knew if the mountain would just settle down for another 100 years or if it would blow. It blew, and that catastrophic event sent tsunamis of mud and trees down the rivers. People died–those monitoring the volcano and those who refused the government’s order to move out of the danger zone. The landscape changed forever, and is still healing.

I asked my scientist consultant and that opinion was that the massive water weight should be enough to keep the methane bubble down, as it is in ice form.

However, no one knows. Once the government issues an “EVACUATE” order it may well be too late. Just like with St. Helens, no one could GUARANTEE that it would blow, it had never happened before in documented history. There were just ominous signs.

If I lived on the Gulf Coast, and already had my livelihood hurt by this event, I would, yes, get outta Dodge…go get a temporary job in Colorado, California, North Dakota. Put some thousands of miles and some mountain ranges between me and the methane. Because, NO ONE KNOWS. And it is scary as hell.

Furnishedowner

There is seepage all the time from these oil pockets deep under the sea. When the seepage is great and it is natural gas not oil, it creates a big “bubble” in the water. Of course ships float on water not on gas so they can get surrounded by vapor and sink to below the surface. When the water returns the ship is underwater and disappears…Why do you think ships disappear in the Bermuda Triangle? You didn’t think it was Martians did you?

You didn’t think it was Martians did you?

You mean it isn’t? :shocked

So if they nuked this area what will that do? Make it worse or make it better?

Hard to say. Is oil plus radiation on the beaches going to be worse or better than just oil on the beaches?

Tough call.

It is like when you have an ant hill and the ants are coming out and you mash on the hole to close it up. The nuke is like a giant boot heel.

Hard to say. Is oil plus radiation on the beaches going to be worse or better than just oil on the beaches?

I think the article said that it would only take a 10 kilo-ton nuke to do the job. I doubt if a 10 kilo-ton nuke under 5,000 feet of water would cause much radiation on shore. The big questions are whether a nuclear blast would further fracture the seabed, allowing more oil to escape and whether a nuclear blast would ignite the methane causing a catastrophic explosion.

Or a giant wave,these are created by earthquakes also,which is a comparison.Or we could just follow the example of our great leader,and go play golf and ignore it.Forgive me for yet another racist statement :rolleyes I’m doped up on painkillers with a kidney stone,and I’m still of better mind than this idiot leader. :cool

Rookie,

You’re so dead on right.Jimmy Buffet is from pascagoula,where I’m from.He’s gotten very rich on posing
as a beach bum.I love his music(that he did’nt write)but,yet again he has the elitist mentality.I’m sure
his sister who has a restaurant in Orange beach feels different,but she is here with skin in the game.I do applaud his effort in the concert to attract business.

Even if you give him that idiotic thought of blaming Bush,is Bush failing on the response too.It’s like a five year old is running(ruining)this country going around blaming everyone but himself. It’s getting old,TOO EVERYONE,or it should be.

That’s the product of being raised by grandparents and never being told no,a spoiled brat with no responsiblity for their actions.

Or a giant wave,these are created by earthquakes also,which is a comparison.Or we could just follow the example of our great leader,and go play golf and ignore it

Thats where they got the idea to fill it with trash (golfballs). LOL

I don’t believe you actually said it. I thought that when it came up but didn’t have the balls to say it out load.

I have read up on the topic of throwing the golfballs into the well. It was only supposed to slow down the flow of oil so the well could be capped. Could have been a good idea…It is better than sitting around another month or two to figure it out!