3. Get everything in writing.
  4. Protect your privacy rights.
  5. demand repairs.
  6. Talk to your landlord.
  7. Purchase renters’ insurance.
  8. Protect your security deposit.
  9. Protect your safety.
  10. Deal with an eviction properly.

If your rental unit is not kept in good repair, you have a number of options, ranging from withholding a portion of the rent, to paying for repairs and deducting the cost from your rent, to calling the building inspector (who may order the landlord to make repairs), to moving out without liability for your future rent.

Read, read and read before signing anything. :wink: Thanks for the tips!

Know your landlord and everything about the property. If I may add up. :wink:

In addition to these, consider the following points:

1. Know the Tenants rights and obligations
  2. Know the law
  3. Know about renter’s insurance
  4. Inspect the home well before finalizing
  5. Avoid conflicts with room mates
    Tips for tenants:-

 Don’t sign the tenancy agreement unless you are absolutely certain you want to rent the property.

 Be very careful who you share the property.

 Check the contents and condition of the property carefully.

 Your landlord is required by law to keep in proper repair the exterior and structure of the property.

 you are entitled to live there without any interference from the landlord.

 When you leave the property, make an appointment with the landlord or his agent to check over the
property and its condition.

Great tips! Thanks! Tenants must take precautions against those abusive landlords.

Thank you for the tips. Both tenant and landlord should be very faithful to each other.

I am a tenant myself and I find your tips very helpful.

How about paying your rent on time, not doing anything illegal there, and not tearing the place up?
Most of these posts signify what is wrong with society… it’s all about my rights and I don’t have to be responsible for my own actions.

I would advise you not take the landlord must do this or that as the accurate answer to withhold the rent. First in most states you better put the rent into an separate account or the judge will likely just view it as a deadbeat action to avoid paying rent. Secondly, contract beaches are just that a breach.

Just because you think the landlord must do or fix something doesn’t mean that the landlord must or is required to. In the states I do business the main factor is habitability, not looks, many conditions do not meet that standard and the tenant withholding the rent has put themselves on the eviction express.