The Institute of Commercial Real Estate

Has anyone dealt with ICRE? What has your experience been? Is their seminar worth the money? Does their network of investors really work? Any informaiton would be helpful.

I have gone and the information is very good. I am currently looking to build a buyers list for assignments to be able to purchase and have not had any luck yet. For education its is great. :anon

Oh boy, the next guru surfaces. Some myths from his website -

MYTH: Commercial real estate is too expensive.
MYTH: Commercial real estate is too complicated.
MYTH: Commercial real estate is too volatile.
MYTH: Commercial real estate is too time-consuming.

The reality is commercial real estate can be expensive, complicated, volatile, risky, and time-consuming even for experienced investors. Would you really expect this guy to say anything different? I’ve said it before, you want to buy commercial real estate, get a full-time job in the commercial real estate field. Your education, experience, and networking will be worth far more than the $18,000 this guy wants. Oh, and there are no “secrets” to commercial real estate, but there are better ways of doing things. It’s a learned trade just like any other job.

Anyone can teach classes and call themselves an “institute.” This doesn’t mean you will learn anything substantive or worthwhile. For less than a third of this “institutes” fee, you can become CCIM certified – a legitimately recognized and respected designation in the commercial real estate industry.

I went to the seminar but decided to not sign up. Their database of companies as well as other members seemed interesting though. Is there anyone out there currently using this? Has it been helpful for your business?

Database of companies? What does this database offer that will help you make millions? No one is using his system because it is ridiculous. A buyers list for commercial assignment deals is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of, and it only sounds appealing to newbies that know nothing about commercial real estate. Get a job in the industry and you’ll eventually learn what you need to know. I’m not attacking you, I’m just tired of these smucks taking advantage of people.

If you expose yourself to these people they’ll suck you in. It’s like asking a barber if you need a haircut…

Yeah, I just went yesterday, the information was alright. But I wanted to know more about assignment of contract with commercial property.

In case no one has noticed, the majority of commercial markets are in the crapper outside of apartments. Values have declined significantly and we haven’t hit bottom yet. Lenders aren’t lending even to financially strong buyers. Who are you going to assign to? Who’s going to buy if the market is still dropping? You shouldn’t be surprised if many of these “gurus” disappear until the next real estate boom.

$18,000 this guy wants

I have seen quite a few commercial real estate training pitches lately.

I always wander if the gurus are making some much money why do they charge so much for their courses?

Dave
altered due to rules violation
Personal and Financial Freedom

Anyone can teach classes and call themselves an “institute.” This doesn’t mean you will learn anything substantive or worthwhile. For less than a third of this “institutes” fee, you can become CCIM certified – a legitimately recognized and respected designation in the commercial real estate industry

[

Kavi

How do you become CCIM certified.

FYI… The CCIM insitute does not hand out designations to everyone that passes the 7 classes. You must complete a qualifying portfolio of sales and take a comprehensive exam and be approved by a board of directors to achieve the designation. The information you will learn is invaluable. It helped me a lot in my career.

Hope this helps.

I have been to the 3 day training. Like all other training it’s up to you to make it happen. Some of the info presented is basic. There was a lot of good info to help you succeed. I also just finished the 2 day Masters Program on Syndication Training. It was very good and I enjoyed it.

I would only recommend this and any other training if you are going to do something with it!

My partner and I are working in the Commercial Real Estate field every day.
We raise money from private investors and are actively purchasing property.

Anyone can teach classes and call themselves an “institute.” This doesn’t mean you will learn anything substantive or worthwhile. For less than a third of this “institutes” fee, you can become CCIM certified – a legitimately recognized and respected designation in the commercial real estate industry.

Wait a second, some named “kavi” made this exact same post, verbatim, back on March 4th. Something seems a little suspicious here…

These are all valid points but I think it depends on the part of the market you in. Lower end [retail] markets are starting to pick up lately - it’s the big guys that over-leveraged that are in the most trouble. They have more exposure to consumer spending (and therefore big box closings) than little guys who stick with neighborhood retailers. You also have differentiate types of commercial properties as well - office space is in the toilet just about everywhere.

To the earlier point of market entry, yes it is harder to enter commercial than residential real estate. The risk is higher also but so are the returns - you don’t get one without the other. Commercial is a different animal but a lot of the basics still apply. Lenders have raised the bar on financing but there is still money out there if you have a demonstrated track record and can demonstrate good cash flows.

I don’t see 18k being worth the expense. You can learn more from a realtor or banker friend. Networks are important in commercial real estate.

Yes, it depends on the market and the deals you find. And yes, many investors have filed bankruptcy due to overleveraging and “credit” tenants going out of business. However, unless we’re talking about a low end shopping center with rents at $4-$8/S.F. be very careful. Vacancies are increasing in most sectors in our market, and our market is consisitently stable. Good local lenders are still lending on deals that make sense.

The verdict is not yet out on where the bottom of this decline will be…

I appreciate your comments HRD. It sounds like you have some experience.