Tenant Tricks - Not on my watch baby.

Last year one of my tenants asked if I wanted a copy of both of their drivers licenses when they applied for one of my units. Ever since then I have started getting a copy of the tenants drivers license.

Do you also get a copy of the drivers license or do you have a better method in avoiding this trick?

Haven’t had the fake stuff, but I always check for a driver’s license and run a credit report so everything like previous address matches up to the report.

Do you also get a copy of the drivers license or do you have a better method in avoiding this trick?

I don’t get a copy of the driver’s license, but I do make them present it. I then hold it up beside their face and ensure that the picture is the applicant. Next, I take their driver’s license and compare it to the information on the application. You’d be amazed at how often the info on the driver’s license differs from the info on the application. For example, the driver’s license number may have one digit off, or the birthdate may be different. I also make everyone that will reside at the property present their IDs also. I run criminal background checks on everyone.

Mike

Why look again? That makes no sense unless she is trying again to seduce someone. What a whore.

Rich_In_Ct,
couldn’t you find some other language to use? It’s not all men on here. There are women as well. While the young lady may have had questionable motives (maybe), why resort to FILTHY name calling??? I noticed you are a moderator on this board. I am new here, so I hate to complain, but I am here for an education and it would be a more pleasant experience if we could stick to educational posts!

Sex for rent…hmmmm sounds like prostitution. Here’s what I came up with when I Googled a definition for whore:

Prostitution describes the act of sexual intercourse in exchange for money. However, its definition may be extended loosely to include any sexual act for any type of compensation; depending on the location where the act occurs…

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=define:whore&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

[quote author=Rich_in_CT link=topic=32310.msg151846#msg151846 date=1194224484]

How about using a generic “entrepreneur” in the future so nobody feels insulted?

Pass the duct tape, all this political correctness is going to cause my head to EXPLODE! Why can’t we just call things what they are? Where is it all going to end? Are we going to start calling low-life, scumbag, legal aid lawyers “legal professionals”?

Mike

I have never done this but I read about it in a book and thought it was pretty clever.

A landlord had a tenant who at the end of his lease sent his final rent check. I can’t remember how but somehow the landlord knew the check was going to bounce.

The landlord took the check to the bank and asked the cashier how much he would need to add to the account to make the check not bounce.

The account was only short 50 bucks so the landlord deposited the $50 into the tenants account and then cashed the rent check. :beer

That is called rinsing the account

Most banks I think would not tell you how much was in there. (both for privacy reasons and legal reasons) You may also not be able to deposit money into someone else’s account. And lastly you may be in violation of the law.

[/quote]
Most banks I think would not tell you how much was in there. (both for privacy reasons and legal reasons) You may also not be able to deposit money into someone else’s account. And lastly you may be in violation of the law.
[/quote]
Sounds like I need to get better books to read. :rolleyes

I’ve heard that before, I think we might have read it the same place. I know there was discussion here about it and I think there were even more bad points made about doing that, maybe I can find the thread. It’s a good idea in theory but with all of the privacy laws I doubt you could do it unless you knew the teller. If you did get away with it the tenant might try to come after you legally.

I heard the same story/trick from Don Beck. What he did wasn’t asking the teller how much the account needed to clear the check, but he asked the teller “If I deposit $50, would this check go through?” If the teller says no, he increases the amount by $25 or so.

Yes, you can make a deposit into someone’s account if you know the account number. The banks don’t care WHO makes the deposit. I make deposits into my partner’s account all the time and our tenants deposit the rent into out accounts every month. We have accounts with most major banks so the tenants can deposit the rents.