Study Books Vs. Seminar/Courseware

Hello Everyone.
First let me say I am a very new Newbie so please forgive any of the generic questions. I have started on the road to REI and I am looking to put my time into studying and getting well roaded before jumping at the deals.

When I say I am new I mean that I have started in the last two weeks. I am looking for honest opinions from both other “newbies” and the veterans on what you think. I plan to study for about 6 months of anything and everything I can get my hands on that is Real Estate. I’ve gone to the Library and gotten some books. They are the generic “Getting Started” style books which don’t give the step-by-step but more of the overview so when I get into the step-by-step I will know terminology and things like that.

My questions to everyone is when you get to the Step-by-step portion is it better to buy the actual courseware that any number of guru’s are selling or can you get good information in store bought books?

I am an avid believer in “You get what you pay for” so I can see saving up the spare cash to buy a good study guide from a reputable guru but if I can get the same if not more information from buying 5 - 10 different books at a cheaper “per book” cost then I would like to know from people who have been where I am and have moved on. (in my example I mean buying 1 course for $500 compared to 10 separate books at say $50… I am willing to invest my time, money, and effort I just want to make sure what I am doing is the best use of everything.

Also if anyone knows of good books/courseware I would love to hear about them as well ;D

David

Hey David,
I’m also a REI Newbie and over the past several months I’ve been reading everything from hard copy books to REI articles online. I think that there is so much free information available it is worth your while to keep digging and then when you have a good idea of what type of investment strategy is best for you then consider purchasing additional resources. I’ve actually begun compiling a lot of the information and resources I’ve come across into an informational website for other new RE investors. I’m still looking to add much more content but feel free to check out the link below.

First, I must admit that I’m new at this too. I’ve read probably 6-7 books on real estate investing and ordered the Sheets course. All resources have great infomration in their own right. However, I just purchased a TERRIFIC book Titled, “The Millionaire Real Estate Investor” by Gary Keller (founder, Keller - Williams Real Estate). Of all the books and courses I have purchased, Keller’s book should be the first book any beginner should read. I have founf that it assumes nothing. It starts from the most basic investing information and carefully explains how to be successful in this business. If you don’t feel ready to jump into the business after reading this book, you probably should get a different profession. You can find it at Amazon.com, etc. Buy it - it will help you in your endeavors.

Hey,
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is the BEST read. It not only gives you the hows and whys and what fors it stokes the internal fires and builds the internal strengths to get you started and keep you going. I always have it in reread. The one book that should be in your library and should be dog-eared from use.
Peace,
Richard

Hi David,
My hsuband and I did all our real estate learning from library books. We have been very successful at it too! Read my blog in my signature line. It tells all about our investing.

The most important step you will take though, is after you read your books or course, you have to do it. There are too many people that feel they just don’t know enough to start. The best learning you will ever get is from experience. Remember you will have real estate brokers helping you along the way. They know the motions and will help you from start to close.

Finding an agent may not be that easy. You will read the trouble we had in my blog. You want to find someone who works for you and is willing to write offers the way you want. We found a great broker that we use on several deal. It became a frienship.

I still love to read new material, search the net, and read forums. See you around the forum :slight_smile: