So how/where do I start?

My name is my username. I am 28 years old. I have no real estate investing experience unless you consider buying my first home over priced with 1 less bedroom than the MLS said, and upside down after 2 years. I lost it to foreclosure when a real estate agent put a tenant in there for me, but failed to pay my mortgage or send me the money. Lawsuit is pending…

I have some family that flip homes. I am supposedly a parter with her and another 2 individuals, but I have not heard a word from them about how I can start working and making money. I also have a person I networked with who has been investing for about 20 years in OKC. He has suggested a couple of things…

1. Become an active member of the local REIA which I plan to do at the first meeting this month

2. Start wholesaling, although I dont really know how to start doing that yet. I have read a chapter in a foreclosure book about it, but that is about it. So I need some details on how to get started…

Jerry,

I think that you would be best to start from the beginning. Clearly, you need to learn the basics first. I would get a copy of the Carleton Sheets course (including all the videos) and study that. The Carleton Sheets course is an excellent beginner’s course and will give you the basics you need to move forward. I would also join your local REIA and make it your mission to become friends with the SUCCESSFUL investors in your area. Then, I would pick a target investment area and start visiting FSBOs, open houses, etc so that you can start learning your market.

Once you’ve done all that, then write a short business plan detailing how you will get from where you are now to where you want to be. Then do it!

Good Luck,

Mike

Thanks for the advice. I liked it all except for the Carlton Sheets commercials. I figured if it was on an infomercial it was a crock. Plus I figured it was probably outdated…

Don’t buy it from the infomercial. You can buy it on e-bay for cheaper.

Good point. I will check out e bay…

Search around the internet and the archives, there are plenty of free reources out there.

Regards,

Thanks for the site…

I picked up a 12 CD audio set of the Sheets program for about $12 off ebay. It doesn’t cover everything but for $12 its a good cheap start.