Side By Side or Stacked ????????

Hello All

I’m looking to make my first purchase of a mulitifamily unit. I’m wondering which style of home do you all feel is a better investment. A side by side duplex or a stacked multi-unit home. Please give me some pro’s and con’s. This will really help with my search.

Thank You.

You may have less choice if you are in an area with sky high prices and density of population…up will be the far more viable option due to value of land.

If you have a choice, I would go side by side…stacked units create a variety of potential problems for tenants from noise of tenants above or below to problems like plumbing leaks in upper units affecting lower one’s and people who have trouble climbing stairs limiting the tenant prospect pool.

Direct access to yard areas side by sides have is another plus…

Just a few thoughts on the matter…

Architecturefan is right on the money with his answer…But at the same time you just have to go with the best deal…don’t pay $5k more for a side by side than you would for an up-and-down with all other factors being equal…Maybe you could even use it as a bargaining chip when buying an up-and-down, telling them you’re looking at a couple of side-by-sides for the same money, and for the potential problems the up-and-down could lead to, you need to have a bit more of a discount if you buy it…