Self-directed IRA: Which company?

I want to move my IRA to a self-directed IRA so I can purchase shares of my own C-corp. I was curious who people are using for the self-directed IRA?

I’ve found a half-dozen companies that do this. The fees seem about the same for all of them. I’d like to here about some experiences good or bad with it.

Thanks!

I’ve used Equity Trust for the past 2 years and I’ve been satisfied with their service. I also know a few other investors that use them and they speak highly of them as well.

Patti Porter

They were one of the ones on the list. I’ll probably use them then.

Thanks!

As far as I’m concerned, the only company to use is Guidant Financial…you can have check book control over your IRA, and don’t need to have an intermediary between you and your transaction. Check 'em out at www.trulysdira.com

Many sd administrators will give you check book control, and won’t charge you $4000. You can check out entrustcama.com

Sterling Trust Co.

Entrust (The Entrust Group)

Pensco Trust Company

Sterling Trust Company

Equity Trust Company

Interesting…a recommendation for entrust from a person with an entrust email address. Nothing like “unbiased” opinions. Just like his last 3 posts.

I’ve been using www.iraservices.com

Investing in Real Estate via self-directed retirement accounts is one of the most powerful tools I’m aware of.

I’m in no way affiliated with Entrust & don’t know esz420, however, he’s pitching gold here for free, and I’d hate to see him chased away.

-Infowell

Having deferred taxes, or in the case of a Roth IRA / 401k tax free income, is incredibly powerful. The only problem is that you can’t use the money to ‘live on’ as many of the investors here are wanting to do. I do agree though, I would hate to see someone run off because they happen to work for a company that they suggest as a possible option to others.

“The only problem is that you can’t use the money to ‘live on’ as many of the investors here are wanting to do.”

True, but one could always take a two pronged approach to investing.

Investing for now & investing for later.

Absolutely, and in that fashion, it’s a tremendous way to build wealth for the long term, just not the immediate.

Anybody can have SDIRA with “checkbook control” if they’ll form a new (tax law says must be new) then direct Equity Trust, or whatever trustee they’re using, to acquire the units of that new LLC.

Then the new LLC has the funds and you or whomever is the manager HAS checkbook control.

And all this for a heck of a lot less than $4000.