Robert Allen

Thanks Mark

I agree,

One thing I did learn and everyone who is a beginner will learn this as well:

“There’s a BIG difference between book knowledge and real world knowledge in real estate as well as in life”

No matter how many books you read you are still going to be unprepared to a certain extent. Being flexible and creative will
get you through being unprepared.

I’m NOT saying don’t read books, (Because I read a lot of RE books) I’m saying reading as well as jumping in will give you the knowledge to accomplish your goals.

Mentorship is nice but if you start small and get the experience you need you can be successful without a mentor. I stress starting small so if you make a mistake, (And you will) it doesn’t have to be a big disaster. You can make your corrections and move on.

(Just my opinion)

I think books can be great for getting inspiration and also an inside look at what to expect in the real world. But that is never a replacement for real world experience. But one has to ask how do you get this experience? By doing.

I remember an excellent book I read, called Think Like a Tycoon. It was both educational, yet inspiriing. I bought my first property with the no money down techniques when I was 23 years old. I had droppped out of high school and at the time could only afford to read books.

So, they do help, but at the end of the day it is you who will have to decide what to do with all the new found knowledge. Is it work? Yes. Is it a one shot lottery? No. Can anyone succeed? Yes – if they are willing to apply what they have learned. In other words – start.

At least that is what I did.

Happy fourth everyone!

Reading books for REI is a lot like reading books for aquarium keeping (comes to mind as thats my other industry and hobby). Theres a wealth of info out there, its a matter of reading and learning as much as you can, then formulating your OWN opinions based off that knowledge. No one knows everything, a lot of things are basics and will be covered in many books. The differences are in a good book you will real examples and experiences of the author, as well as thier opinion and way of doing something. Take it all with a grain of salt, research each ones ideas, and formulate your own.

I bit on the late night infomercial…I have been interested in “getting rich in REI” for years, seeing our buddy Careleoton sheats (lol @ the spelling) on tv every night, but I also knew if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it!

Finally while I was unemployed here about 6 months ago, I caught John Burleys infomercial. Not much information about him online. One big thing is he is in REI, or at least involved in a company that is. In one of his videos he mentions the name, so I looked them up and they seem legit.

Why did I buy this rip off? It was $40! Cheap!! I figured, hey…maybe I will learn something, get my foot in the door, and I can run with it from there. At the time I had 0 REI knowledge. I got his course, watched it, learned the basics and his ideas…came to realize hes a bit of a slum lord and I wasn’t interested in his exact teachings…BUT

It lead me to this site and many others with good info, that I can compare to his and see the similarities and differences, I take it for what its worth, and IMO while it may not be a great course, it was well worth the $40 I paid to learn the basics and move on!

The key to reading is to learn from other peoples experiences. Want to spend the best $50 of your life? Go spend the money on a book that is written about peoples bad experiences. I’m sure you’ve seen them, almost a QA or short story written book…with a WEALTH of knowledge, cause your learning from other peoples mistakes! The absolute best way to learn.

I can’t agree more!!!