Reserve the Right...?

Hey All,

Wishing you a happy New Year! Hope it is all that you wish it to be!

Ok, obviously real estate agents get the lions share of listings. Now, I’m not opposed to dealing with a realtor. In fact, they help bring a sens of credibility when they speak with the seller on your behalf.

However, these positive aren’t without their negatives. The fact is that realtors aren’t always investor friendly. Whether it’s intentional or not, I would like to know if there was a way to be able to talk directly with the seller. Could you just request of the agent to speak directly with the seller? What about the case where the agent is intentionally unfriendly to investors?

In one of his aurio programs, Roger Dawson tells a story where he tells the agent that he reserves the right to present the offer to the seller himself in the event that the agent is unable to get them to accept it. Is this a viable option?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Realtors are part of your team. Your team needs to be made up of investor grade professionals. That means that just like you can’t use a retail mortgage broker or retail real estate lawyer or insurance agent, you need investor grade professionals. For example if you tell a retail mortgage broker you want to buy a new rent house and you have 7 already they will tell you it can’t be done, investor grade mortgage brokers tell you how to do it. The same with realtors an investor grade realtor will get the deal offered and closed.

Hi Bluemoon! Thank you for the reply!

Not quite what I was asking. My fault for not being clear. What i was more wondering about was in the case where they are representing the seller and you would like to make an offer on the property to get some sort of communication going. So, when you are contacting the listing broker/agent, is it ok for you to request the opportunity to speak directly with the seller in the case that the listing broker is unable to get them to properly consider an offer that i make?

As a side note, might I also ask how you recommend a noob with no experience move forward with trying to build a team of other professionals? How would I go about finding prospective team members? What questions should i be asking to find out whether or not they would be a good fit for the team? Besides the obvious personality tidbits.

Again, thank you so much for your time Bluemoon. It means a lot! :beer cheers!