Renting to Dog Owners

Do you Landlords have any breed restrictions when it comes to renting to Dog Owners?

I do have a rental agreement that I’ve used in the past that states no attack trained dogs allowed but I want make sure I limit my liabilities, especially from lawsuits and possibly destructive dogs to my property…

Thanks!

Our lease explicitly states that Rottweilers, Dobermans, Chows, and Pitbulls are not allowed on the property as well as any mixed breed containing one of those breeds. This includes “pet sitting” because that’s the excuse you always hear. “I’m watching it for my cousin/brother/etc.”
This is more than just a rule that we made up. It is also a rule of our insurance company. So definitely check into this. Our insurance is basically invalid if one of those dogs is on our property. I’ve had to run off 4 pit bulls in the past year. I told all the tenants that the dogs have to go. If they choose not to send Fido down the road, they get booted out too.

First check with your insurance agent and see what breeds they don’t allow. Some are breeds with a reputation, but some don’t make any sense, so you can’t guess which breeds will get you canceled.

I do not allow puppies. Dogs must be over 1 year, terriers must be over 18 months.

No dogs which are, or appear to be: Pitbull, Staffordshire Terrier, Doberman Pincher, Rottweiler, Akita, Chow-Chow, Tosa Inu, Presa Canario, Fila, Dogo Argentino, Ban Dog, any of the Russian Shepherds, American Bulldog, or Kerry Blue Terriers.

All dogs must be presented for an interview and must be clean, well, cared for, good temperament, and good manners.

Applicants will be rejected for misrepresenting the breed of their dog.

I tell all tenants that want dogs that they can have them as long as they maintain a $500K insurance policy with my LLC that owns the property named as additionally insured to eliminate any liability issues that could arise. No takers so far

jmd_forest