Question for Furnishedowner...

Which department within hospitals do you contact if you have an apartment that you’d like to rent to traveling nurses and other hospital personnel?

I have a one bedroom basement available, just renovated and I’d furnish it if the rent roll was the right amount. I’m just having trouble right getting quality tenants. I also live in the home so I don’t want to rent it to just anyone. So far I have 2 guys moving in January 10th for only 2 months. So that gives me more time to find a long term lease.

Where else should I be looking if I want to attract the professional crowd that would pay more for a furnished unit? Temporary stays are fine too.

NJbird-dog,

You could call or visit the HR (Human Resources) office at the hospitals. Every hospital has one. Make up a 1-sheet flyer with a picture of the front of the house, bedroom, living room area, kitchen, also patio or back yard if there is one if you go in person. Hang it on the hospital bulletin board too.

After you talk to the HR people, you will know if they use travelers at that hospital. Where do they stay? How much does that housing cost in your area? WHICH AGENCIES PROVIDE THEM WITH TEMPORARY WORKERS?

Now you can e-mail those agencies and ask them what their budget is and what their demand is. They should be happy to talk to you, since you are helping to solve their housing problem. Ask for their “Housing Coordinator”.

Since you live in the home, it is ideal for a furnished-type rental since they are more labor-intensive.

We ask for a minimum of 1-month for the lease period. Many people check out their job and then extend if they like it.

As far as furnishing I would put in:
KING BED, if there is just a little room to move around the bed. Don’t worry if the bed almost fills the room. This is incredibly important. More units are rejected for lack of a King Bed than for any other reason. People are HOOKED ON KINGS!

QUALITY MATTRESS. It can be used, but it can’t sag and must be CLEAN. Our carpet cleaning guy also cleans our mattresses. I recommend sleeping there for a night. If you aren’t super comfortable, then spring for a Tempurepedic Memory Foam-type mattress pad. They are wonderful, and can convert that old mattress into “Best sleep I ever had!” raves from your tenant. Don’t buy the old egg-crate foam pads anymore. The Memory Foam pads are expensive, $90-$125 range, but MUCH cheaper than a new mattress. Quality is worth it.

Large-enough FLAT-SCREEN TV for living room. There are charts for what size TV for what viewing length. Small room, small TV. Giant room, get a big one. You can put an older-model TV in the bedroom. Usually they go on top of the chest-of-drawers. Test the viewing angle from the bed. Move the cable cord if necessary. Bedroom needs a TV since temporary worker tenants work, sleep, watch TV. That is their life.

RECLINER for the living room. Big Lots Store here sells them often for $200-$300. Get a large man-size chair, not the little old lady size. You can shop the used market for this too. I have bought many for $25-$75 used and then just had the carpet guy clean them.

Those are the four most important items that you can’t skimp on. Couches, tables, chairs, dishes, pots, pans all can be used, and frequently they are better quality if they are, for example, vintage RevereWare pots never wear out.

Good luck, and let us know what the HR people say.

Furnishedowner

Awesome advice. Does it matter if it’s a basement apartment? or does it matter to them if it’s not a legal apartment? I mean, do they even check to see if it’s a legal apartment?

Nobody cares if it’s a legal unit or not. I don’t believe anyone would check and report you to your local housing /zoning authorities except perhaps an irate neighbor.

A basement unit is fine, why not? Look at everything from the tenant’s point of view.

How is the privacy? Safety? Locks on all windows? What is the egress for fire? You must have a working window for fire egress from the bedroom. Be sure to have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher.

Dead bolts on all the doors, but not with a keyed inside. Instead they should be thumb-turn locks. Tenants can’t hunt for keys if the house is on fire.

Invest in nice bright lighting since it is a basement. Wash the windows. Hang the curtains right under the ceiling as this will visually raise the ceilings.

Good luck with your plan. Don’t forget…If you build it, they will come!

Furnishedowner