Question about Realtors

Several months ago a realtor contacted me from a post and said that if i referred short sale deals to her she would pay me a referral fee when they sold. I referred her a deal that is closing next week, she signed an agreement to pay me $1500 upon closing. Now she is telling me that it is against GA real estate law for a realtor to pay an “non realtor” a referral fee.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I certainly dont wont to break any laws, but i fell like i have been dupped.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR THE REALTOR TO PAY YOU… HOWEVER, THE RELTORS LEARN THIS IN THEIR CERTIFICATION CLASS. THE REALTOR SHOULD HAVE KNOW ABOUT THIS FROM THE BEGINNING. SO YES IT DOES SOUND LIKE YOU’VE BEEN “DUPPED”. IT’S NOT TO SAY THAT JUST BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL, IT DOESN’T HAPPEN EVERYDAY.

ATLNEWBIE

Hi Bob,

ATLNEWIE is correct. I’m a broker and this realtor knew well before she offered you the $1,500 that it was illegal. You may want to let her know that you are considering reporting her to the licensing agency or offer her the alternative of making a charitable contribution to your favorite charity in your name with confirmation sent to you directly from the charity. Hopefully, she’ll realize it as the gift that it is and gladly comply.

Good luck.

Cate

BOB,

I urge you to report this Realtor to the Georgia Real Estate Commission and Atlanta Board of Realtors and maybe even National Association of Realtors.

Such greedy scumbags make all of us look bad. They must be sanctioned.

Here in Atlanta, Brokers and Real Estate educators pound this matter into our heads until we have nightmares about illegal referral fees.

Dan

I agree with the others. She has violated the Code of Ethics. You can file a complaint with the local board to which she belongs. There will eventually be a hearing and she will be sactioned. The penanly will depend on whether or not she has prior violations on her record.

First let me say that a REALTOR is a memeber of the National Association of REALTORS, to use this term the person you speak of would have to be a member (as I am). Second I can’t belive she would sign something that you could use to prove she has done something she knows very well is illegal. I agree with everyone else, you should report her. She makes it very dificult for other REALTORS & Real Estate Agents to do there job. As a Realtor we have to adhere to a very strict code of ethics that she has obviously not.
Good Luck
Heidi

Unbelievable and infuriating…You owe it to our CRE industry to put this scumbag out of business. I’ll be glad to help since I consider this type of thing as stress relief…
Regards,
Dave

Google keyword phrase georgia real estate commission to file a complaint.

Bob,

Sorry to hear that you got “snookered” into a deal. I have had a few members of this site contact me with their horror stories of “members” who have left them high and dry in the middle of a transaction.

Be careful. Just because they are members does not mean that they are legitimate. Mom always said, “if it sounds to good to be true…”

You need to report this scammer to the Board of Realtors! and to the moderators of this site :bash:

Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out.

Bob, if you do decide to report her, let me know and I provide you info. on Atlanta Board of Realtors, GA Real Estate Comm., thier broker’s name, etc.

Dan
Atlanta Investor

Let me ask a different question then, I have two realtors who have been looking for properties for me and I was thinking of sending them checks as a gift to make up the time and gas they have spent with me. Would that be considered illegal as well since I am not a realtor?

Also, would it be illegal for a realtor to buy from wholesalers or just bird dogs? Reason I am asking is because I just started my real estate classes and I would like to rely on wholesalers.