QUESTION ABOUT MOLD

I LOOKED AT A PROPERTY TODAY
THAT HAD MOLD DAMAGE IN THE BASEMENT
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF THIS
DOES THIS MEAN FOUNDATION PROBLEMS

AND WHAT WOULD BE THE PROCESS OF GETTING RID OF THIS PROBLEM

Hi,
There is definitely a moisture issue if you have mold. However, where the moisture is coming from could be anywhere. Such as, a foundation problem like you said, or it could be a water pipe leak within the house, it could improper ventilation, especially in hot humid climates. If you can’t find the leak, I would suggest hiring an inspector and look at the house to the cause.

To clean up the mold is realitivelyeasy. Go to yourhome supply center and buy Tri Soduim Phosphate (TSP), Bleach and a sprayer. On the TSP box there will be mixing instructions and the simply spray it on the affected areas. By the next day you should it clean. If it bad itmay take a couple of applications.

Mold is not that hard to clean and everyone is afraid of it , especially banks. This makes it a great bargaining chip to acquire properties at a huge discount.

Good luck Joe

With mold, one of the first questions should be, “How bad is it?”

Caution: Some mold is toxic and should only be handled/abated by professionals.

http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldresources.html

But Joe is right, most mold is relatively easy to deal with as he has described.

As Joe alluded to, something is causing the dampness and thus the mold. It is imperative to find the moisture source and abate that also or you will continue to have issues.

Keith

When removing I would keep the windows open, not only to prevent inhaling all those bleach fumes but to keep yourself from inhaling mold.

:banghead anytime we work with mold or drywalldust or tearing out
we should wear a dust mask for personal safety. some molds (4 kinds i believe ) are toxic (very toxic) .
harriet(fl)

i went to look at fixxer upper with my realtor one time , it was a bank owned property.
the basement was finnished with drywall . the power was turned off to the property so when it rained the sump pump could not take the water out of the basement . the result was lots of moisture and mold . it was the worst mold i have ever seen . all the way around the basement the dry wall was completely covered in black mold about 5 ft up the wall. i was there about 10 mins and when i left , i felt sick for a few hours …

I’ve heard that it’s not supposed to be a good idea to mix TSP and bleach together. It could create a toxic gas. Other than water of course, laundry detergent is the only thing that’s recommended to mix with bleach. This comes straight from Clorox’s 800 #. TSP is primarily a degreaser anyway, and doesn’t do much if anything really for mold or mildew. Don’t just take my word for it though, do your own due diligence and call OSHA or a similar agency for the real information. Or at least read the label on the bleach bottle.
-Health rhymes with wealth.

Based on the research I did just now it seems like TSP is ok to mix with bleach, saw sites recommending pairing the 2 for hardcore cleaning. I think you must be thinking of the problems mixing an ammonia based product and bleach. Believe me, I made that mistake only once.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inftsp.html

http://www.colehardware.com/hotline/96/05/watrdmge.htm

If you need some really good stuff, mix bleach and ammonia…yeah, that’s the ticket!

It releases chlorine gas and mono- and di-chloramines. These compounds decompose in water to form ammonia gas and hypochlorous acid. This last in the presence of water forms hydrochloric acid and nascent (monoatomic) oxygen, which are highly reactive and can lead to pulmonary edema and pneumonia.

Woo Hoo…party!

Keith

Yeah, I’ll tell you the long story short of what happened. Was working in a store at the time and we had a bad mess to cleanup (rat shit under shelves). Poured some cleaner in a bucket and rolled the bucket over to the area we were working. Boss says, you’re gonna need some bleach to get that clean so he pours about 1/2 gallon in the bucket. The fumes were overwhelming and we had to eventually leave the area, was burning my lungs pretty bad. Checked later on and saw an ammonia compound in the cleaner I added. Stupid boss. That’s why he’s still working there and will be there forever.

I have same predicament mold all around the basement 4 feet high looks like possible foundation problem as well

this mold left you feeling a little ill after getting air
also bank owned

Anyone repair or have foundation repaired ? or is mold and foundation very bad combination ?

mold & foundation problems can be mild to severe. they can be
remedied. you need to know your costs & allow for it in your offer.
these problems together or seperately will really get the BPO
down , if you attend the BPO & play your cards right. :bobble
harriet(fl)

Thanks Harriet

Does BPO still ome into play since it 's already bank owned?
I’m trying to get some contrators in now to get some numbers
I’m already working on comps whic look good for me