painting asbestos

We have asbestos covered pipes in our basement and in one of our rentals. It is starting to crack quite a bit and we were going to paint to seal it. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions… what type of paint… what precautions…? Any advice would be great. We would obviously like to stay healthy!!

I’ve heard a great way to cover asbestos is good old duct tape.

I love duct tape! It works for everything. Is covering it with duct tape or paint enough to disturb the asbestos and require some sort of hazard conditions in the house? I’m looking around on the internet and its freaking me out a bit. But we are not trying to remove it or even remodeling things to cause a disturbance, just want to put a protective coat over what is there, but now I’m picuting some sort of haz-mat suit with special cleaning in the entire basement with wet rags and double bagging and sealing the trash ect… Just wondering if a simple paint job requires this… Anyone done it before?

You can wrap insulation around it…Doesn’t cost too much and solves the problem…

In Buffalo, the homeowner is allowed to remove asbestos without a permit…That’s the best solution, as long as you do it properly…You might want to check to see if you can do it yourself legally, or do it on the down and low…

The problem isn’t so much removal as disposal, you can’t just toss it in the trash even if you can legally remove it.

True, Rich…I’m sure there’s places in the city where you can take it to legally dispose of it but I’m not sure of the cost…I know the companies that come in and remove/dispose of it for you charge a fortune…I’ve never removed it (didn’t want to deal with the stuff) - only wrapped it…