I live in Calif. and I recently made an offer on a small house in Georgia which was listed for 58,900. I made an offer, the owner made a counter-offer, I counter her offer and the owner decided not to accept my offer.

After all that being said my question is (regarding out-of-state property):
(1)should I check to make sure the owner is actually the owner of the property?
(2) should I go and see the property and not relied on pictures taken of the property?

I’m thinking I can make an offer but before signing anything, to fly to that state and check out the property. Does this sound right to you?

As long as your offer has an inspection period or opt out period then you could certainly fly out and inspect after the fact and if you do not like what you see opt out and just forfeit your option fee.