Office Space - some general help please

Hi all,

I have a presentation to do on the layout of 10,000 sq. ft. of modern office space on two stories. That’s all the information we have been given.

Taking into account typical room sizes (offices, toilets), stair space etc, could anyone give me some ideas on a general layout - how many rooms?

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,
John.

Howdy John:

Not really enough info to help much. Start with the common areas like hallways and restrooms. Do you want to divide the space up into several different suites or just divide each floor into one space with several spaces. It would be better to rent the space first and then work with a tenant if it is vacant. Also the trend is to have open areas with flexible wall and desk systems eliminating the need to use as much construction. If you are wanting to divide in many suites you may want to try to figure who your tenants may be , one man office, or a small company ???

I’m not sure how I want it divided up, I’ve just been told that it’s “campus style office accomodation”. How would this sort be divided up?

John.

Howdy John:

Not sure what campus style means for offices. I owned a campus style dorms and the rooms were 200 feet each and two units shared the bath room. I have seen some where 12 or so units shared the bath. What a drag that had to be. I am assuming small one man units but it is just an assumption.

Hi,

I’ll assume that there’ll be one large area for offices on each floor.
For the sake of drawing the layout, how many square feet would you say “medium sized” restrooms would take up in 10000 sq ft? Just a guess, if you were designing it, - based on the typical proportions of restrooms of other similar size office spaces?

I have no idea with sq ft, so I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks,
John.

Howdy John:

You would need to have ADA approved sizes for the toilets that would be a minimum of a 6 by 6 for that area. Maybe another toilet as well and a couple urinals and a few sinks in each. Probably just one for each floor. Maybe a total of 12 by 15 would be big enough.

Thanks very much. I just needed some idea on the scale of things so I can give a few measurements/figures.

John.

Hi,

Another question! Where would I find information on the width of walls in terms of office space? Is there a standard range? I just need to know in order to work out the net lettable area. (Total area is 10 000 sq ft).

Thanks,
John.

Howdy John:

Most walls are just 4 1/2 inches thick including the sheetrock. Some sheetrock is thicker at 5/8 if there is a firewall but not that critical in measuring footage. Some plumbing walls are thicker too to allow for the pipes to be hidden inside the walls. These could be up to a foot wide depending on the structure.

Thanks tedjr