off topic credit post

Hi Folks,

I received a collection notice from an agency stating that I owed a bill for $45. I called the orginal company, they say I have $0 due.

Back to the agency, they stated that the orig. company would not have a record of the account because they sold it for collections, yet in the next breath, said that they would contact the company to get proof that I owe the debt. Highly annoying.

They stated that this debt is from a bill in Feb 2003. I live in MD. I believe the statue of limitations is 3 yrs. So, my questions are:

1. what happens if i pay the debt? i.e. does it hit my credit report?

2. Should I even pay it.?

3. What happens if I do pay it? I’m admitting that I owed it when there’s no proof.

This is the first I’ve heard of this bill being owed. The agency claimed that it has been bounced around collection agencies for 3 years. yeah right. I am debt free, jerk weed. Ok I’m back to myself now.

I asked them to verify the debt, they said it would take 30 days to get documentation and send it to me. Sounds like they are just trying to say it is late and add fees.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

If you don’t get the answer you need here try Creditboards.com.

1. If you pay your debt it may bring the debt up to current and can negatively affect your credit
  2. I would find the current holder of the debt and check the validity. They can send a letter to the credit unions fairly easily stating that the debt is no good.
  3. If you pay you admit that the debt was legit. It’s a renewal of the original obligation.

Finding the debt could be problematic. I would strongly suggest that you verify my information with that of the creditboards.com.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

If you pay it it will become a current bad debt. If it is on your credit report now it has very little impact at 3 years old. I would avoid it like the plague.

If its only $45 you might be able to swing a pay for deletion. You pay them and they agree to delete it. I wouldn’t pay it if its not going to go away though.

No, it isn’t on my credit report. My concern is these jokers adding fees and penalties because I didn’t pay it. I will check into the other website…many thanks, and happy new year.

Did you check all 3 major credit bureaus? It might not be on one but might be on one or both of the others.

Collectors always lie. They believe that you are lying scum and should be treated like dirt. Everything they tell you is a lie. They are not going to sue you they are not going to take this debt off of your report all they will do is tak your money and report it. They take the money and it stays on your report. Don’t trust any collector. If you want to pay, send it to the original debtor and make them move the money to other agencies