Newbee Questions

I’ve been wanting to invest in real estate for quite a while, and have been tracking foreclosures, multiple listings, REO’s, etc. for the last few years. I am not in the position to invest, so I am thinking of bird-dogging or wholesaling to start. I am very familiar with the market in my area in the $250,000 and below range.

I’ve been reading posts here for the last few weeks, and have gotten A LOT of information.
I feel like I need to just start, and it seems the best way is to build a buyer’s list.
So here are a few questions I have:

1. I don’t want to use my home phone number, is it ok to use my cell phone, or does that seem too unprofessional?
  2. Any advice on a website? Do I need one right away, or can that wait?
  3. I have access to Parcel Quest right now, should I stick with it, or is there a better paid service, and if so, which ones?
  4. Someone mentioned getting lists from title companies. I have gotten lists from the county in the past (for a fee). IS one source better over the other, and what is the cost comparison?
  5. Email. Does it matter if I have a “yahoo” type email, or can I wait to set up an email account once I have a website?

That is all I can think of for right now, I’m sure I’ll have more, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tracy

1. I don’t want to use my home phone number, is it ok to use my cell phone, or does that seem too unprofessional?

I use my cell phone. My marketing program is based on the idea that I am just this nice guy that wants to give them a no strings attached offer on their house.

2. Any advice on a website? Do I need one right away, or can that wait?

It’s nice but you don’t HAVE to have one. The primary benefit of my page to me is the sellers squeeze page which helps me weed out the loser deals. I don’t have time to talk to all of the people who want to sell me their house for 10K less than full market value. I only want motivated sellers.

3. I have access to Parcel Quest right now, should I stick with it, or is there a better paid service, and if so, which ones?

I don’t know what Parcel Quest is but I assume it is a mailing house of which there are thousands in the country. I get my own or make my own highly focused lists and do my mailings my self so no comment here.

4. Someone mentioned getting lists from title companies. I have gotten lists from the county in the past (for a fee). IS one source better over the other, and what is the cost comparison?

Getting lists from your local govt is always nice because you just cut out the middle man who is going to sell you the same list for more. However, there are some list companies that track data that is not available from your government.

5. Email. Does it matter if I have a “yahoo” type email, or can I wait to set up an email account once I have a website?

Who cares. It’s more about YOU than it is about your brand image. Whether they trust you or not. How good YOU are at convincing them to take less for the house than they wanted to. ETC.

Hooch, thanks for your reply. Your answers pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Parcel Quest will give you information on owners, plot maps, assessments, etc. It is not one of those pay for foreclosure info sites. I have access to it where I work, but I know I can pay to have access if necessary. I’ve seen some other sites like eDatatrace.com HomeInfoMax.com and titlesearch.com. Just wondering how they stack up in comparison.

1.)As far as the phone goes take a look at Google voice features. You can get a separate number with voice mail and you can forward any and all phones you own. Magic Jack voice mail isn’t bad either.
2.)Website. Until you can pay someone, I would suggest you start with free blog software. Wordpress is easy to do on your own and with the right ad-ons these sites can look like a decent website.
3. no opinion
4. no opinion
5. The ideal would be a branded business email with the same domain name as your web site. Take some time and see if you can find a domain name you like that is available. Like Hooch said, this is not critical, but something to think about in your future.

Great questions and answers…

The short and simple answer is

1. Answer your telephone when it rings, a cell, land line or Skype. I like skype forwarded to me cell when I am not at my computer.
  2. be prepared to ask very leading questions’ This will save you time and weed out fantasy land sellers.
  3. and get out to the sellers house before Hooch does or he will get the contract and you will have wasted advertising dollars.

Once you have enough money for the other stuff save it for a rainy day or take your family/??? on a vacation…