My future as a real estate investor...

I realize I’m getting way ahead of myself, but let’s fast forward to when I’m making $100,000/year as a wholesaler, if that ever happens… But for the sake of this post, let’s assume it will…

Where would I put this cash?

Wholesaling is kind of like flippings little cousin… So maybe I could use the profits as down payments to flip, using hard money for the rest… I talked to someone the other day who made $2 million flipping houses… Then “wasted” the profits by investing in a few costly rental properties that are not providing anywhere near the return that flipping was doing for them…

I could use profits as a down payment/closing costs on apartment complexes or hotels…

But, to me, the real advantage of real estate investing is that you can take out 30 year loans to do it…

Also, all the apartment complexes or hotels that I’ve looked at were through realtors and they basically laughed at me when I talked about 100% financing, even when combining owner financing with financing through a private lender…

I think a better ROI would be achieved by home building, actually…

What do you think would be the most profitable way to invest these earnings, assuming that they happen?

I’m planning for way in the future here… But it may only take one year or less to go from wholesaling to flipping…

Hi,

When you make $100k per year wholesaling houses you will lose something like 18 to 20% to federal taxes minus expenses and write-offs! Then your adjusted savable income is probable $40k of these funds as you probable need $35k to live on and it will probable cost you $5k in expenses. 

But the good news is you should be able to do two or three times this revenue in your first year or so.

I suggest putting your cash in: Your pocket, a wallet, a box, a briefcase, under your pillow, in a safe, in your dog house, or maybe a bank! Oh, you meant after you save enough for a piece of property? Initially I would do the one or two or three single family rentals, then your second year wholesaling when you do $400k or $500k in revenue then maybe look at a small apartment property, mini storage or retail strip center.

Wholesaling is more like flipping’s big brother, you have to have the connection to find a wholesale property in order to fix and flip it! Bad decisions are easy to make, good decisions take time and patience! This person probable did not understand the market their investment was in!

Ok, let’s say that Red Star saves $200k his second year of wholesaling, what happens if you “Blow your Wad” on a $1m dollar building and suddenly discover termite damage or foundation issues or expansive soil or bad roofs or ungrounded electrical? What happens?

You only get 30 year loans on residential property! Hotels, apartments, assisted living facilities, mini storage, office, retail, commercial and industrial are 15, 20 or 30 year terms but will be due as a balloon note in 5, 7 or 10 years. At this time the property will need to be sold or refinanced. It costs points, appraisal fees and closing costs each time a refinance or sale occurs.

Typically commercial property is not 100% financed as the listing and buying real estate agents need to be paid, normally a seller will never pay those costs out of pocket, so even if the seller would sell you his property with nothing down, you’d have to have closing costs and commission money to close.

A typical US home builder will make an average 11 to 14% profit on each home he sells, then of course costs, expenses, write offs and taxes occur, so you don’t really make say 12% cash in your pocket.

Fund your retirement accounts first, then fund your kids college accounts, then make sure you have a 6 to 12 month emergency fund. Then cash can go into a house or two or three the first year as you have the money. In Florida you can probable find cost effective homes or condo / townhouses you can buy for $25k to $40k each, if you pay all cash you set yourself up for a permanent income upfront that you can rely on year after year regardless of the market or economy.

GR

How can flipping be inferior to wholesaling?

If ARV *.7 -repairs -$5,000 = the purchase price a wholesaler can pay…

That means if I would have had the cash to flip it myself (while taking out a hard money loan to cover around 85% LTV)… Then I would have made much more by flipping it myself…

Hi,

It's not about money? Have you ever heard of buying retail, putting in $40k to remodel and selling after closing costs and realtor fees for the same amount you bought the property for in the first place? You would go bankrupt fast!

You have to buy a house wholesale at what ever cost (Lower the better) in order to remodel and flip, it all starts out with wholesale!

GR

Hi,

And a house can be bought wholesale that requires no repairs or remodeling for it's intended use, so there are more wholesale transactions than fix & flips in this country! 

GR

Then what is the purpose of this house to the final buyer?

Hi,

A wholesale buyer could buy a relatively good condition home wholesale to make it a rental, lease option it or sell it to an owner occupied buyer. 

GR

And does this actually happen?

Are you just blowing smoke here?

I’m probably just being impatient. It’s only been a couple of days.

I totally believe you that I will be able to do $300,000/year or more per year…

I tend to get OBSESSIVE about things and if this is providing me money, I will do it 24/7…

I make everything I need to live off my salary as the RV park manager, so the wholesaling is just extra…

We both know I’m going to blow the first $2,000/month on a Lamborghini payment… But that’s beside the point…

I found a realtor who is willing to work with me as long as I show a proof of income letter… I know I should look for homes that have had a high “days on market,”…

I know this will work and I’m confident as ever.

Thank you for all your help and motivation.