My 1st tenant issues

I got a call from one of my tenants father stating that my tenants are going threw the big D. And that his son has moved out of the house. I’m betting that the rent will not be there on the 1st. Good thing that I got a $3000. deposit from them. I knew better than to rent to these people, but I let feelings get involved. ( he just got out of the air force). Chalk it up to learning. It just proves they can’t all be good ones.
Jay

Jay,

I have now been through a divorce (2 anesthetists having a screaming fight in the parking lot with police called)
a birth (our crew moved Dad and the other 3 kids to a larger home)
a death (ill pharmacist suicide)
and 1 SWAT action (SWAT arrested oil-field worker who beat up girlfriend)

so welcome to the world of landlording. Life goes on even in your units. But still no evictions.

Propertymanager and the others will have even more excitement in their units.

FurnishedOwner

I knew better than to rent to these people, but I let feelings get involved.

Repeat after me!

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

Write that on the chalkboard 100 times and then go stand in the corner!

Good Luck,

Mike

If you have a soft spot in your heart for tenants, you’ll eventually have an empty spot in your wallet and the two will be directly related!

Keith

I have a different philosophy. If a tenant calls, “My blender just broke”! i would respond, “You poor thing, and you were just fixing to make Margaritas,too! Why don’t I just drop off a new blender in a few minutes.”

But here it is more good word of mouth that keeps my older small units full. Sort of the “perceived higher value” that made Starbucks profitable.

Another positive note–my daughter was going to move out of town: “There are no marriageable men in this wasteland.”

I told her, “Just wait, he will walk through that door to rent a house.” Two days later he did, and the wedding is June 14.

I am more of a believer in positive thinking.
Good deeds and thoughts do get rewarded.

FurnishedOwner

I would give your tenants the benefit of the doubt and expect to see rent on time. You never know, you may actually get it and go on landlording as usual.

I have been through plenty of things in life and still manage to make my payments on time.

Welcome to the club. You got off easy for a first time issue with a tenant.
Chris

Well the 1st is here, and the rent is in the bank. His parents wrote the check, hope it is good.
Jay