Mobile Home Investing

Hi,
Just have some questions about the mobile home market. My Brother in law just purchased some land with an old house that he plans on fixing up and living in. On this land there has been an old mobile home sitting unoccupied in for some time. Im really not sure how old it is, but I would guess maybe 20 years, It definately needs some work but the structure itself seems to be in pretty good shape. My brother in law said that he plans on burning it down or selling it dirt cheap, I think that I could probably take this thing off his hands for free, he basically just wants it off the land. (They are using it for storage now while the house gets fixed up, so I have some time to put together a plan)

My questions about this are: How do I go about moving one of these things? Does it attach to the back of a truck and just pulled along? Do I have to find a lot through a mobile home park for it? How much do those typically run? What kind of options to I have for investing? Should I just rent it out? Try to fix it up and sell it? Carry a note?

It seems that I could be getting myself into a lot of undesirable work with this thing. I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect if I make an offer to take this thing off my brother in laws property.

Thanks for the help/ideas!

Hi,

A mobile home is moved in sections depending on whether it is a single wide, a double wide, a triple wide, a quadruple wide or a two story.

A single wide would need axels and a tongue installed, all utilities disconnected and a semi type tractor to pull it!
A double wide has to be disconnected down the middle, the trim or center drywall removed and the ridge cap removed, seperated by a crew and pulled out one half at a time to a new location.

The cost to move a single wide $1500 to $2,000 for the service and possible another $1000 for a tongue and axel or axels, and probable another $1000 to $1500 to re-set the unit and re-establish utilities to the unit.

A double wide may run $3,000 to $5,000 to remove utilities, seperate the halves and move them to a new location and another $2500 to $5000 to pull the unit back together, repair the roof and interior walls and re-establish all utilities.

No, you do not have to put it in a park, you could buy a lot that is zoned OK for mobile homes and set it up, beware you may need to hook to city sewer or put in a septic field. A mobile home park may have a space rent of $300 to $600 or more per month. (Not all parks would even allow a 20 year old mobile home)

Your exit strategy depends on what your financial position is and what your goals are?

Good luck,

GR

Many individuals often seek for the options to sell property fast and carry on the procedure in short. People avoid lengthy procedure that involves heavy documentation and it’s difficult to sell property quickly without completing the formalities

This thing should be kept in mind rest all is the common things while buying house.

Thanks