Keeping Signs Up

Was wondering if anyone has had a problem with keeping their signs in place because of an individual who thinks its his calling in life to be a “tree hugger” who takes them (signs) down. Claims he is cleaning up “litter” and wants his neighborhood clean. City has no program for volunteers and this individual is acting on his own and without any recognized authority from the city. There is also no penalty by city except that signs are thrown away. Have not had much of a problem with city, just this one self appointed volunteer. I hate to have to abandon the signs, they are by far my most effective method of marketing and lead generation.

Anyone have any ideas on how to legally stop or discourage this individual. Signs were put mostly on city right-of-ways on main thoroughfares in the Round Rock area. None actually in neighborhoods. Would appreciate your opinions

Scott,

Losing these signs are just part of the cost of doing business. Get used to it.

If the city has an ordinance against them, no matter what the actual fine may be, then their use IS against the law. You have to decide if you want to continue to break the law by using them.

If you do decide to continue to use them, just expect to lose some. Some will stay up for months, some will be gone within a matter of minutes. Just the way it works.

Thanks William for the reply. I definately understand it’s a cost of doing business and I’ve gotten used to that. Not accustomed to self proclaimed individuals without any recognized authority from a governing body removing signs from private property (placed with permission) that have no idea of what they are allowed to remove and/or not remove.

Are you sure you are putting them on private property and not the right of way? I’m sure you know that the first 10-20 feet from the curb are not private property.

Hello!
I seen an individual on another forum who used his car to advertise his business and he made it a point to drive al around town and when he wasn’t driving it somebody else was or he just parked it in a high traffic area. This works only if you can handle the fact that your car will be marked for life. :slight_smile:

I’m absolutely positive the signs are on private property! :anon

Are definitely the most effective way to get houses…

Bought 2 in the last week and half… from about a total of 30 signs…

Then again… I’d say that right…

Reality is… the shelf life of them are that they are just like an Ad… You can only run an ad for so long…

And then your time is up… So, think about them like that…

The sign vigilantes out there… let them pull your signs for you… They clean it up for FREE…

As far as the legality… personally I view it the same as speeding… going 57 in a 55 is illegal too…

We can all justify it…

Some say it’s breaking the law… Others would call it bending the law… the reality is more or less… Life just ain’t that black and white…

The laws are their to keep things in check… on the extremes…

David Alexander

Hi, I’m a newbie to this board.

I may have a solution to solve your “sign” problem. I use this company to promote my biz via my car. It’s called The Travelling Billboard which promotes your biz 365 days of the year. Hope this will help you or anyone else.

in exposure…

We do the same…

Tell people to put vinyl… on the back of their car window…

It leads… you to about a deal every other month or so…

Probably 4 - 6 a year…

I would however be interested in talking to you about your product…

Wholesale of course…

I may have another use for it…

Give me a shout…

Just click on my email…

David Alexander

Put out milk and cookies!

If you are going to use signs you can do a couple of things. Maybe put them on specific streets and in subdivisions you want to buy in. If you are putting them on poles, put them up high enough not to be reached easily. Also, place signage on all the properties you own, this is private property. Also if there are folks who live in houses on main roads, knock on their door and ask them if you can put your sign in their yard and buy them a pizza once a month. Lots of ways around this issue. Something else I did was to have banners made with my message on them. Then I approached businesses on main roads which had fences around their business(like car lots) and asked them if I could put up my banner and pay them 20.00 per month to keep it there. Kathy

I carry a 6 foot ladder, climb up and put the sign high enough that it would take somebody else a 6 foot ladder to take them down! :smiley:

…and use the ring nails with the plastic collars on them (get them at Lowes or Home Depot – they are used to put Tyvek wrap on houses)…they are VERY difficult to just pull out (a la staples…). This is a bit more work and a little more expensive but I bet more of your signs stay!

Keith

Scott53,

I live in Austin, and the placement of signs is govern by ordinance, and no signs can be placed in someone’s yard unless it’s a For Sale sign or an election sign. Or zoned business, can display a sign on or in front of the property.

The billboard laws are tightly governed as well, so whether the signs are placed on public or private property, read and know the ordinances, or just get used to losing signs at your strategic locations.

But like the others said, place them up high enough to where the self appointed “sign vigilante” can’t reach them without help.

Well folks…Like Ray Crock said the founder of McDonalds the three keys to success are:

1 Advertise
2 Advertise
3 Advertise

I learned a big secret last year on a rural property by mistake…/ I had the Flu last year and left my open house sings out on a Rural Property and I had so many calls and buyers show up to see the property I almost had to move my office! :o