John T. Reed’s analysis of Robert T. Kiyosaki’s book Rich Dad, Poor Dad

It’s just a book…read it and decide for yourself. How long could it take? You’ve spent more time asking about it than it would take to read it…

Biggest newbie mistake: Inaction/procrastination, followed closely by listening to too many opinions and letting those opinions cloud your gut feelings!

Keith

Why are you hesitant to take a side? If you don’t want to just say so.

This has nothing to do with how simple it is to read a book. This book has a following that seems to border on cult. Even rational people who fervently support this book seem to find no faults with it.

I was one of those people, until I saw everythign in the book torn apart and dissected, at which point I realized I had been following Kiyosaki blindly, and on a very important topic: My financial well being!

To dismiss this thread is to either allow people to continue reading useless and potentially damaging material, or to have disbelievers come back over and start reading it if it really is worthwhile. Both of those outcomes are very serious. And this really shouldn’t be so opinion based, either Kiyosaki has somethign good to say or he doesn’t. Why not let this continue to see if some people will be swayed?

I’ve read parts of it and am not a ‘follower’…I think through things for myself and do not subscribe to any single “guru’s” advice on any subject…

To follow anyone/anything blindly is cult-like and you will see many references (mostly jokingly) about “Kool-Aid drinking”. This is what that refers to.

Secondly, if I do or do not sunscribe to any one author’s thinking should no reason for ANYONE to follow or subscribe to those tenets…my point is that people should do their own reading, their own thinking, and decide for themselves what makes sense for them in their specific circumstances…

Keith

Anybody can pick a bone…it’s just like politician tv campaigns before a November ballot.

While I’ve gained insight from both the writings of Reed and Kiyosaki…I’d choose Kiyosaki hands down, any day of the week.

My personal opinion is that Reed is simply too sophisticated. He gets all tangled up in his own analysis of things.

Kiyosaki is much more than one book. That banner ad that you see at the top of these pages…“Retire Young, Retire Rich”…that’s another great book.

So is Real Estate Riches by Dolf de Roos in his advisor series.

Reed is too “clever” for my blood.

I’d rather stick with someone that has vision.

I’ll still read more of Reed…but he’s much lower on my reading list totem pole.

If I was a lawyer I would probably think otherwise.

-Mike

You need to read RK’s Cashflow Quadrant as well to understand RK’s message. Cashflow Quadrant is another excellent book to read and is a continuation of RD, PD.

Like the others said, the books were not written to give you a roadmap to success. RK is attempting to explain the difference between the traditional thinking, which we get fed on daily basis in schools and at home, and the rich people thinking.

If you are to read these books, you need to keep an open mind and try to understand what he is saying.

fadiz,

Thanks for posting this reference to Cashflow Quadrant…

That’s definately a book in his series I’ve been meaning to get…but have yet to pick up.

I go to my public library for nearly all my books…but I think I might just splurge and get a used copy for $7.70 at Amazon.

Thanks again…I really want to go thru this one.

Kiyosaki teaches concepts…

Things like the velocity of money…how you need to keep it churning.

Also, like professional gamblers…how you need to get your money back off the table and play with the house’s money.

These may seem elementary…as Texan first stated…but in my opinion these are fundamental concepts that can translate into better, faster accumulation of wealth.

Just my 2 cents.

-Mike