Intrest rate

I am selling a house , Owner Finance on a wrap.
Buyer has no credit history . He has a down payment of 5000.00. What would be a fair intrest rate to charge in texas. (Bell County) :smiley:

This might be of interest ;D

http://www.mortgageloan.com/Rates/Texas/

Google ā€œcurrent interest rates in Texasā€ for more results

hth

I used to get 10 to 12% on my contract for deed sales. I would charge 12% with little down and 10% if they put down $5000. What is the purchase price? If it is a million dollar home $5000 down is not a lot. If it is $50,000 then $5000 is a lot to put down. Even a $100,000 home is a fair amount down and you would have less risk. I would try to not be too greedy and in todayā€™s market 8% owner finance rate would be about right. Maybe even 9% but not much more. The rate you are paying also has a bearing on what you have to charge too. If you are paying 10% you may need to get that much too. If you ask too much you can always come down a point but hard to go up a point.

Hope this helps some.

Good luck and thank you,
Ted P. Stokely Jr
11505 Sw Oaks
Austin, Texas 78737
512-301-9171 home
512-587-6177 mobile

Thanks for the info. , I wanted to make sure, I asked a fair intrest rate. :smiley: Have a wonderful day.

When owner financing You typically set the rateā€¦

It usually depends on the marketā€¦

For Instanceā€¦ 2 years agoā€¦ we owner financed property at an average of 10.5%

for 30 yearsā€¦

Latelyā€¦ Most of the Notes weā€™ve been carrying have been starting at a maximum of 8.5%ā€¦ so, that we can get the people inā€¦ Then we graduate it yearlyā€¦

9.5, 10.5, 11.5ā€¦ for the remaining balanceā€¦

It also, depends on price range of the housesā€¦

Lower end houses can carry a higher interest rate easierā€¦

And it depends on the exit strategyā€¦

Do you want them to refiā€¦ do you want them to be long termā€¦ are you going to sell the noteā€¦

David Alexander

Lately.... Most of the Notes we've been carrying have been starting at a maximum of 8.5%..... so, that we can get the people in... Then we graduate it yearly....

9.5, 10.5, 11.5ā€¦ for the remaining balanceā€¦

I have been staring at the screen trying to figure out a tactful way to askā€¦What kind of idiot challanged individual would agree to a graduating mortgage, rather than a reasonable fixed rate?

When your owner financingā€¦

They donā€™t agree to itā€¦ thatā€™s the way it isā€¦

What I have found isā€¦ that if I donā€™tā€¦ then the people will pay me foreverā€¦

Weā€™ll when you have large equities tied up in propertyā€¦ 50k and greaterā€¦ You start to understand Return on Equityā€¦ could my money be working harderā€¦

So, if your not going to get your money to put it back to work then you needā€¦ to make it work harderā€¦ at a rate you be ok with it workingā€¦

Most people as well are very optimistic about there futureā€¦ and if they can just get into a houseā€¦ theyā€™ll worry about it laterā€¦ so, you make it easy for them to get inā€¦ and they know going inā€¦ hey in a few yearsā€¦ Iā€™ll refiā€¦ or weā€™ll moreā€¦

Itā€™s not about being dumbā€¦

If they go get a mortgage thatā€™s ok tooā€¦

Not all of them canā€¦ Not all of them want toā€¦ and you shouldnt running a business financing houses at what they wantā€¦ you do what will work for allā€¦

David Alexander

It's not about being dumb....

IMHO: Youā€™re right, to hook up to that kind of financing would require a mixture of ignorance and desperation.

Has nothing to do with ignorance or desperationā€¦

Do people go to a used car lot and pay 14% because they are ignorantā€¦

Nopeā€¦ Sometimesā€¦ they choose toā€¦

They canā€™t get other financingā€¦ Bad Credit, Self employed, donā€™t trust banksā€¦

On the otherhand youā€™d be ignorant not to finance the propertiesā€¦ where you get paid wellā€¦ Your taking the riskā€¦

David Alexander

Maybe Iā€™m misunderstanding something or not making myself clear.

If I were going to buy a car, letā€™s even say my credit really stank, and I had to go 21%ā€¦I would still take the option of 21% for the full 5 yrs not 21% first year and a point more every year. Whether the car lot guy was trying to get the biggest bang for HIS buck, or wanted to encourage a refi with someone else later on and get cashed out is of no concern to me. The car lot guy that offered me a graduated interest rate would get one thing from meā€¦a good look at my keester walking out the door.

Not if the car lot guyā€¦

Started out at 17%, 18%, 19% 20% and for the remaining balance 21%ā€¦

You see, you donā€™t make the money on the interestā€¦ You make it on the spread and the fact that you bought at a discountā€¦

When everyone else is still offering 9 - 10% and selling with Owner Financingā€¦ You have to zigā€¦ so your ads might say Owner Financing 7%ā€¦ They callā€¦ You say weā€™ll give you 7% with 10%ā€¦ How much you working withā€¦ I only have 5% to put downā€¦ What if I could get you in at 8.5%ā€¦ They like the houseā€¦ You talk to them and say I can get you inā€¦ and we donā€™t put any ballons in our financing or prepayment penalties like mostā€¦ But, here what we do have to doā€¦

Weā€™ll get you at 8.5% for Year 1ā€¦ Year 2 - 5 it goes up 1% and stops in year five for the remaining balanceā€¦ You can always refi us anytimeā€¦ but, you donā€™t ahve toā€¦

Now, if it were you and you showed me your keisterā€¦ I would have never been having the conversation with you in the first placeā€¦

If you think itā€™s wrongā€¦ then you havent been on the other side of financingā€¦

Your taking a riskā€¦ What if they defaultā€¦ What if they file bankruptcyā€¦ What if they trash your houseā€¦ What if the market goes downā€¦

On the othersideā€¦

They get homeownershipā€¦ with a low downā€¦ No prepayment penalties, no balloons, all the appreciation, tax write offs, And NO BANKS or long red tapeā€¦

David Alexander

Now, if it were you and you showed me your keister..... I would have never been having the conversation with you in the first place....

Heyā€¦my keister isnā€™t so bad, I just like to take it with me when I leave.

Which I would do, to find all the things you describe from another lender except for an interest rate that graduates. A little math would show me that, even if I got in at slightly higher than your loss leader rate, by the end of term I would have saved.

I understand you want to make $ and you will with your methodā€¦it makes good business sense for you.

However, you wonā€™t be making it from those that do their homework and shop around. Maybe you are the best deal in your areaā€¦I dunnoā€¦but in general, you have competiton willing to OF with a fixed rate and other favorable terms.

IMHO, of course.

Hey, its been fun. :wink:

If Iā€™m offering to owenr finance at 8.5% to start with a low down and NO Qualifyingā€¦ That pretty much makes me the best game in townā€¦

Once someone wants a houseā€¦ itā€™s just a matter of making it workā€¦

Not sure where your atā€¦ But, our economy is trashed here here in Texasā€¦

You may think, Iā€™m being unfareā€¦ But as an investorā€¦ You make your money upfrontā€¦ In the middle and on the back endā€¦

Wellā€¦ here in Texasā€¦ It ainā€™t like that right nowā€¦ Our Taxes and insurance run about 3 - 4% of a propertyā€¦ Thatā€™ll kill cashflowā€¦ (the middle) meaning a 7% loan is like a 10 -11% at the startā€¦ At the same timeā€¦ there is plenty of propertyā€¦ But, everyone else is doing a L/Oā€¦

So, instead I completely owner financeā€¦ If I canā€¦ (they have enough down)

Now, to make money in this marketā€¦ You either buy really cheapā€¦ and Holdā€¦ wait it outā€¦ or do what I doā€¦ make it so they ā€œWill cash you outā€ So, your equity isnt tied up with a poor returnā€¦

Iā€™ve even offered some incentives likeā€¦ No Payments, No Interest for 90 daysā€¦
With 20% downā€¦

But, go ahead and charge only 6, 7, 8% and watch the negative cashflowā€¦ or charge 9 - 12% and watch the property setā€¦

Two years agoā€¦ my average interest rate was a fixed 10.5%ā€¦ I would never do that fixed thing againā€¦ They have No Incentive to cash you outā€¦

Cash To Asset To Cashā€¦ Rinse and Repeatā€¦

David Alexander

I do understand where you are coming from, its just thatā€¦aw, never mind. ::slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hey, good answer to Heather regarding ā€œdoing what you loveā€ :wink:

Peace, Brother

Nawā€¦ nevermindā€¦ donā€™t let me off the hookā€¦

Hit me between the eyesā€¦

THWACK

Iā€™ve pretty much said whatā€™s on my mind, I think. To go on would be overkillā€¦howeverā€¦

I get your perspectiveā€¦I came into it from the consumer angle and, call me a bleeding heart, but I still see it as a choice of the desperateā€¦bad creditā€¦seesā€¦no or low money down (great!)ā€¦lower than market initial interest rate (great!)ā€¦no balloon payment to scramble financing for (great!)ā€¦first couple of years interest goes up a point a year (OK. not bad)ā€¦is going to reach a point where interest rate is no longer favorable and is almost back to square oneā€¦has to choose (if there is even a viable choiceā€¦maybe position is still desperate) financing elsewhere with balloon payment or sticking and watching the interest rate climb forā€¦how many years and reaching what interest rate (do you cap it at any point)ā€¦Anyway, just seems like the folks with the most misery are the ones that get the THWACK

You can post a reply and reiterate your points if you likeā€¦but, really, I understandā€¦it works for you, and its a choice for folks that might have no other options. That can only be win-win, right?

I think you did miss a pointā€¦

It capsā€¦ at the 5th yearā€¦ usually 10.5% or 11.5%ā€¦

Putting balloons in loans are far worse than a rising interest rateā€¦ that will cause immediate doomā€¦ and cause foreclosure quicklyā€¦ And the other prepayment penaltiesā€¦ are the other answerā€¦

This is the solution by most B and C paper lendersā€¦

David Alexander

P.S. how did you do that moving Thwack thingā€¦ way coolā€¦

Erā€¦Caps/5? Did you state that after the above? That kind of makes a difference. Iā€™m sitting here thinking some schmuck is, in theory, stuck with a point per year increase for thirty years. :o

oopsā€¦ :-[ ā€¦found it

Year 2 - 5 it goes up 1% and stops in year five for the remaining balance

[shadow=yellow,left]Look for the <-M button[/shadow]

Youā€™d bump into usury laws about 8 to 10 years into itā€¦ depending on the stateā€¦

They are actually winningā€¦ unless they let it run a long time after the 5thā€¦

David Alexander

P.S. that explains alotā€¦ :slight_smile:

Usually buyers wonā€™t mind paying 10-12% interest on owner financed homes.

www.classifiedclub.com/mall2/realestatecoaching.html

David Garcia