Internship with experienced REI

As some of you may know I am an 18 year old college student. I went to my first REIA meeting last month and actually saw for myself what networking and the whole scene was all about. I don’t want to sit on the sidelines any longer but want to immerse myself with REI but im not quite sure how to go about it.

I have been reading a lot of books, articles, forum posts etc but don’t feel ready to take action. I think it would be a good idea to do an internship (work for free) with an experienced investor.

I would be willing to do their busy work so they can spend more time finding deals and I would gain valuable knowledge (hopefully). What do you all think about this? If you full timers had a “kid” approach you, what would you be looking to benefit from it. Obviously I am going to benefit from learning a lot of what it takes to successfully run a REI business, but what would they want out of it? by the way im not interesting in bird-dogging for them.

As far as finding a good investor to intern with I was thinking either going up to a full-timer and straight up telling him I want to work for him, etc or possibly even making an announcement on the open mic in the beginning of the meeting. Thanks

-Ben

That is a great idea in my opinion. I am 21 right now and when I started several years ago I did the exact same thing. A friend of the family was a real estate investor and I did whatever he needed me to do.

I ran all over the place, made call after call etc… I worked for him for quite a while and it was well worth the experience. After I worked with him for a while I went and found another investor who invested in another type of real estate.

I would say give it a try and see what happens.

Good Luck!

Brandon

Thats good to hear Brandon.

Anyone have any input on this or any tips on approaching an investor to ask them?

-Ben