Insurance policies

Good afternoon,
Question: You have to find an insurance policy before you come to closing, right?
When contacting the insurance companies, are they going to ask you if the insurance is on investment prop or a primary res? If so, are there cost differences between the two policies?
Thanks! 8)

I have a rental home in CA with ins coverage about $250k. The premium difference between rental home and primary resident is $40.00 per year, not a big amount.

My rental property insurance is a lot cheaper than my investment property policies…but the rental properties are a lot cheaper than my residence! I pay about $250 a year for rental property insurance. With a rental, you are insuring the property and not the contents…the tenants must insure their own contents.

The only time that you HAVE to have insurance at closing is if you are taking a mortgage on the property.