Illegal to solicit mail carriers?

I left a flyer in MY mail box to my mail carrier offering them money for leads on vacant properties and passing the flyer around to other mail carriers. I got a call this morning from a supervisor telling me its illegal to offer the mail carriers money and I need to stop.

Anyone heard of this?

I use postal carriers often for finding vacant properties. I’ve always approached them personally and asked if they knew of any and if they said no I gave them my card and asked them to call me if they saw any. One of my cards is only for bird dogs and it explains how they can make money by filling out on the back of the card some info about the property. Perhaps I deal with the rebel postal carriers?

Judd,

A postal employee must only engage in official business when it comes to your mailbox and it may be your mailbox, but federal regulations have jurisdiction over what goes into it.

By leaving a message that was not related to official business (the government’s that is) probably prompted the phone call.

John $Cash$ Locke

I don’t know if UPS, Fedex and DHL have any company regulations regarding what you are trying to accomplish, but I would figure they could be another channel instead of the USPS.

Well I never see my mail carrier so I figured this was a good way to get the message across.

I think I have a stupid mail carrier that goes and complains about a chance to make a few hundred dollars

Leave it on the outside of the mailbox not inside it if you like. I don’t know the legality of it, but I’ll ask the mailman who sends me vacancies. I met him at an REI Club. He decided investing is not for him, but he sends me list of vacancies on his route regularly.

I am not a lawyer, but I would think it is not illegal for you to solicit a mail carrier (with the exception that it may be if you use your mailbox to do so). It may be against policy for the mail carrier to accept arrangements like this, but that would be his/her problem.