Ideas for Budding Law Student Interested in Real Estate

Hi,
I am a budding law school student, and I was wondering what the great real estate minds out there could offer as advice for someone in my position who will soon become a licensed lawyer but who wants to stay close to his true love: real estate investing.

Since I would really like to shop around for my own real estate deals, would you recommend working in-house for a mortgage firm, real estate law firm, REITs, etc. so that i could be working and investing at the same time? Any non-conventional job ideas you’ve seen from lawyers in the real estate field?
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

-Kyle

Are you currently working or are you a full time student without a job? If you have been working for the last two years with a steady income then I recommend just starting out by trying to purchase a SFR and renting it out for more than your PITI payments. All the top investors that I know of tell me the same thing: you start one house at a time. If you don’t have too much money to work with or don’t want to spend it, then there are creative ways to finance properties. Answer the first few questions and maybe I can help guide you on your way.

Thanks,
Nocci01

I went to law school with the intent of using law as a tool for real estate finance. Essentially, I worked in investment banking for a year and then founded my own institution (Investment Bank) in Minneapolis. This was the best career direction for real estate investing.

I recommend getting started with real estate finance (Investment Banking or real property portfolio management for a big company such as Target, Starbucks, etc). There are specialty investment banks (such as mine) who deal exclusively in raising capital for real estate deals.

Investment Banks work the numbers and analyze the project, developers (if any), capital markets, tenant/end-purchaser markets, etc. They determine the safety and feasibility of the deal.

Investment Bankers analyze risk and perform due diligence for a living. They are generally very good at it (probably better than most commercial bankers). They also pitch deals to investors (banks, pensions, fund managers, accredited individual investors, etc.), which means you’ll develop lasting capital sources should you choose to diverge and become an investor.