how to convert from master metered utilities to single metered utlities

Has anyone converted an apartment complex from master metering to each apartment having it’s own meter. I would like to hear of your experiences. Do I get the individual utilities companies to do this or do I have to hire a contractor. Is it worth it to go from “all bills payed” to each renter paying there own bills.


You will need to call the local utility company and ask for extra service at the residence. I believe that they require 220 volts from the pole to each meter. Also you will need to make sure that each unit is wired to its own breaker box with a main power line going to the new meter. There may be permiting involved as well. Contacting your local utility company will help a great deal.