How does a Land Contract work?

I mention the NARS Trust as opposed to a traditional land trust because they are different. Indy Bruce uses a “trusted friend as trustee”. The NARS Trust usually uses a non-profit corporation that is a licensed and bonded note servicing company. Second, the NARS Trust program is approved by the California Dept. of Real Estate – Continuing Education Cert.#3309. Finally, under the NARS trust the seller always retains a beneficiary interest until the trust terminates. These are the three main distinctions and why I distinguish between the trusts, just as you have with your $12 bargain basement jobs.

And, John – it wasn’t I that came after you but, as usual, the other way around. I’ll be happy to consider you invisible and ignore all your posts if you promise to do the same.

Gary,

I cannot trust your word as you already broke it. Find someone else to trust you to keep your word, not me. You are to defensive about any other Land Trust whether $12 or $1200 dollars if it ain’t yours…it is no good.

Like you say the spin does not work, you said what you said.

John $Cash$ Locke

PS: At one time I did recommend your loan servicing company, don’t remember all the details, however I could go back on my board where someone from your servicing company was allowed to post about the service and said they had a problem with the State of California about something they were doing and had to make changes, at that point I could no longer recommend them.

Yes, I recently found out thru my R.E. attorney that in Texas it is just virtually impossible to do any sort of creative purchasing or selling with Seller Carrying the Note without the Seller delivering full entitlement to the Buyer. So, then it become a foreclosure process to get your property back. My attorney recommended not to even try it becuase of the new HB and SB that was passed in 2005. I am still trying to find a legal alternative for this. Does anyone know of how to circumvent this in TEXAS? Why would I want to even do this you ask? Well, (1) to avoid capitol gain tax when selling in such a short period of time and (2) to sell the property for a slightly higher sales price than the current market, since you are carrying the note. Thanks for any suggestions

Bryan/College Station Investor

bcsinvestor,

Glad to meet you.

If you give me the name of your attorney, I will be glad to explain to him how to do creative deals in Texas, not the first time I explained to attorneys how creative deals are structured.

This way since you asked him for advice he would be the one to explain it to you, so you would be assured you can do it.

John $Cash$ Locke

What do our Lawyers Say?

We asked our attorneys to look at these new Texas laws and analyze them for what they’re worth, while understanding clearly that such laws are not intended to prohibit the formation of trusts or the letting of one’s own income property. Our type of conveying is not of realty but personalty, and does not pertain to the execution of a contract to purchase real estate.

An analogy might be that of the leasing of a car wherein the lessee has virtually 100% of the benefits of ownership of the car without a title transfer; but does never own the vehicle until/unless he or she would decide to buy it for its Fair market value at the termination of the agreement. The lessee has the first right to purchase, but is under no obligation to do so, and receives no more of a contracted bargain price than would anyone else buying the same car if the lessee opted not to.

The “substance over form” argument should come into play only if the simultaneous contracts were fully dependent upon one another to accomplish a stated objective. In our case, the lease agreement and the trust document are independent of one another.

If the first right to purchase clause if of particular concern, I might suggest something like:

“When the trust property is offered for sale upon the trust’s scheduled termination date, such offering shall be at no less than full fair market value as determined by a bona fide MAI appraisal, or by any other means of evaluation mutually acceptable to the trust’s beneficiaries. The right to purchase the trust property at that value shall first be offered to any beneficiary who would, at the time of termination, be a resident in the trust property: following which, prior to an offer for sale on the open market, the right to purchase at the then fair market value would go to any other beneficiary making the highest offer.”

. . . we have run across this problem before, and the resolution is an easy one; that is, the hurdle that we have had to overcome in many of these cases has been that these transactions look to the untrained eye like sales-leasebacks, but they aren’t. The Texas law deals with sale-leasebacks and not transfers to Trusts followed by leases either to a beneficiary or a third party. In other words, in these transactions, there is no “sale” which helps to avoid the due on sale clauses and tax reassessments.

Further, rights of first refusal and options are different things as well. A right of first refusal means that if a seller receives a bona fide confirmed offer from a third party, the person holding the right has the opportunity to match that bona fide offer, however, there is no obligation by the seller to sell to the person holding the right for any amount other than the bona fide amount. An option is a contractual right held by the optionee that requires the seller to sell the property for a certain price dictated by the option.

In our scenario, the beneficiaries only have rights of first refusal, not options. I believe the language is fairly clear in that regard, but if there is any question, it could easily be resolved by including language along the lines of “Nothing in these documents shall be construed to create an option by any party unless expressly set forth herein.”

Thanks

ROBINSON & SCHMIDT
David M. Robinson, Esq.

“I concur wholeheartedly with Mr. Robinson in each of his conclusions.”

Martin R. Slater | LAW OFFICES OF MARTIN R. SLATER |

Just in case it happens to dissapear.

John $Cash$ Locke

Thank you for not deleting my post this time, John. If you don’t succeed at first, try try again.

Gary,

You are certainly welcome, glad to help.

John $Cash$ Locke

are there lawyers specializing in this subject that would be used to help write up a contract?

Gentlemen,
I am new to the board today and a fairly new investor.I have been on other boards and find them a great education experience for all and I want to learn more from everyone that contributes their time and knowledge but we can certainly due without the mudslinging back and forth about who has the better method of trusts etc.I thank you all for the information but lets think about how many people we can help and to try to make this a better investment for all of us and share what we can and let everyone express themselves but lets try to hold it down with respect for one another and thank you for sharing all your experience and ideas with me.thanks Kim Thomas :smiley:

Kim,

You’re a month late on this thread. Everything has been resolved. I recommend that as a newcomer you avoid personal judgments, especially since you know nobody here, and instead contribute to the real estate knowledge of others.

Da Wiz

Thanks Gary!I am not personally judging anyone and just want to learn and contribute and grow.Thanks for your reply. 8)

Yeah Kim-only Mr. Wizard here is allowed to cloud up every thread with a giant argument, not you.

It makes life interesting 8)