how do you find the average rent prices in an area.

Where does one look to find the rents for an area?

Thanks

Jay

The newspaper

Mike

Another case of me overthinking a solution. Thanks Mike.

If you have Craigslist in your area, I like that as a source, because you get to see photos and usually get a location.

You can find 2 bedroom houses in my local paper for $500- $1600. That doesn’t tell you much about the price for your own 2 bedroom until you know that the $500 is an old mobile home and the $1600 is a McMansion.

If you have to use the newspaper, call the ad. Tell them that you are another landlord in the area, and ask if it is OK if you do a drive by to see what sort of building they are offering.

I have always gotten a good reception when I did that, and we will have a little chat about the local market. It’s nice to hear what other landlords are experienceing in the local market.

Usually, the large property managers will have a website, and you can see the prices and a picture of the house and often things like square footage. Check and see if your local paper is on-line. If they are on-line, the property managers might have their web address in their ad that is click-able.

Tatertot,

This is right on!!! I spent some time browsing the rental listings, and looking at the pictures tells you a lot.

I saw some homes that were rehabed with granite tops, in the kitchens, rows of cabinets, molding, and knobs. Asking $1100 for the rent when I know the house had to cost them 400k.

I also so some ok homes that were clean, sparse cabinets, no molding or knobs, going for $850. House was worth somewhere 30k and 140k. I wonder who is making the money? :slight_smile:

Thanks again

Once you have established a working relationship with an Appraiser they will have the rent rolls… They might charge a little but the info may be worth the expense… Give them enough business and they probably give the info away…

But I agree the newspaper is a great source along with rental management companies…

Well, you can start with the newspaper. In my geographical area, we have the Northwest Georgia Trader, a weekly publication where people can place ads for free for all kinds of stuff including real estate sales and rentals, and you can buy them for $1 at most gas stations. If your geographical area has a similar publication, it’s a good place to look. It’s also entertaining to see what people are selling in the “miscellaneous” section.