How do I look up remaining mortgage on a property?

Is there a way to find out how much is still owed on a mortgage? Typically, when a lender forecloses on a property, the judgement amount is shown on the document. But in the case of a lien holder, the mortgage amount is not shown. Can this be determined?

I believe you can look this up on www.realquest.com. Realquest is pretty expensive and you are required to sign a 1 year contract. However, if you are needing this service often, then this is a great source for you

Where does your State record their public records?
In my area ours are recorded on the Registry of Deeds. All this information is online once you find out where the deeds and mortgages are recorded.

The easiest way to check mortgage of a home is download a property report. :biggrin :cool

Go to wherever the deeds are recorded in your area. Look up the original deed of trust which most cases will show you the amount that it secures and the interest rate. Then any financial calculator and put the data in, compute remaining balance and that is it.

All great advice here. Not sure about other states, but here in California you can’t get an exact amount unless you look at the latest statement or contact the loan servicer directly. I have found property radar to be pretty accurate if you can’t get a hold of the statement.

Hi,
I agree with Bill H,
You should go, where the deeds are recorded in your area. You will found whole information related to your property there.
Thanks!!

Undoubtedly, buying a home is one of the biggest investments that one makes in his life. And for this, they need to carry the biggest debt- mortgage. If you are planning to buy a house, then be sure to avoid the below-given mistakes.

• Consulting a non-local mortgage company
  • Not getting a mortgage pre-approval
  • Not shopping around
  • Adding too much debt

So, avoid these mistakes if you want to get the mortgage and buy a home. If you are unsure whether you would be able to make a right move or not, it would be better to seek professionals’ help.

I have had success using my title company. I have a great relationships with them, and they can just do some back-door things for me. That’s how I do it when I need to look up a mortgage. Let me know if you need any help.

There are some steps to look up remaining mortgage on a property:

Search Courthouse Records. The property records for the house in question will be stored with the clerk of court for the county where the property is located
Do an Online Search
Ask Your Realtor
Ask the Neighbor
Weigh the Pros and Cons

Thanks for this Insight.

There are many websites available where you can calculate the remaining mortgage amount.

I use http://www.padhawk.com to find the mortgage balance and lien info. Try that for your area.

In Arizona, I go to the Maricopa Assessors office and search the address. Confirm parcel numbers, legal description and spelling of owners names. Then I go to the Maricopa recorders office and search for their name. Confirm if there are 1 or 2 deed of trusts. Then, calculate using an amortization schedule around what they should owe if they were current on payments. The figure won’t be perfect, but is typically close. But always if you talk to them ask if they are current on their mortgage. There are tools out there that help, but this is easy to me because I have worked in Escrow and Title when I was younger so am familiar with it.

-Go to the County website
-Look up the Recorded Mortgage Amount
-Use a Mortgage Amortization tool and plug in data to estimate the balance (i.e. rate, years, etc).
-This will provide an approximate balance (sans late payments, additional principal payments, etc).

Realquest.com is a golden service and worked really well with short sales.

Im not sure you can