HOA Insurance

Any landlords out there with townhouses where the HOA pays the insurance. I understand that this covers the structure down to the drywall. I’m wondering if you guys buy additional insurance on top of this.



Typical HOA insurance covers only the structure. If you want to protect your contents (drywall, bult-ins, appliances, kitchen cabinets etc.) from fire, water etc. you should have an individual policy covering these things. Also, don’t forget liability insurance should someone be injured in your unit.

Yes. You need liability insurance in addition to the HOA insurance. Mine’s $129/year. Optionally, you can cover appliances for 5-6 dollars extra/year.