Help getting started

I’ve been thinking about investing in real estate for a couple of years now. I’m at the point now where I’ve decided to do something about it. I have read a lot of books on the creative financing and general real estate buying and selling. I want to get in the market of pre/forclosures and section 8 housing. My credit is ok but I have no money in the bank. I know that real estate is a slow process. I just want to make a little cash soon so i can go to school to get my real estate licence. Do I need a licence to buy and sell? I found 2 REICs in my area and plan on going to their next meeting. Any other suggestions. Any info anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Drew

Drew,

No you do not need a real estate license to buy and sell for yourself. You need it if you do it on behalf of others. Same is true of being a property manager, you can do it for yourself without a license, but you need one if you are doing it for others.

Hope that helps!

Hello Drew,

The REIA’s are a good start. You will have excellent networking opportunities and be exposed to some in expensive education. You may also want to consider doing some bird-dogging for established investors. It’s a risk free way to learn more about investing and also find out if it’s something you really want to do.

Good luck

Barry