Getting Started in Austin, TX

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to get started with real estate investing in Austin, TX (initially, I plan to be a bird-dog/scout and then do wholesale deals). I am taking courses right now to obtain my real estate license, mainly for my own education (I don’t plan on becoming a full time Realtor). It would be great to talk with other wholesale investors in the Austin area to get an idea of what the market is like. Where would I find wholesalers in Austin that I might talk with? It also would be helpful to find an investor who could serve as my mentor, so again, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Finally, I’ve also thought that it could be beneficial and educational to work as an assistant for an investor or for a Realtor (esp. one who works closely with investors or invests on their own). How would I go about finding an investor or Realtor who might be seeking an assistant?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Alex

Find a local REI Club and attend. You will have the opportunity for many face to face discussions.

http://www.reiclub.com/real-estate-clubs.php

BTW, your post was altered due to several rule violations.

Bird Dog/Scouting is the best way to get started. Get plugged into as many real estate clubs that you can: meetup.com is a good source for local groups. Become familiar with specific zip codes that investors are looking for and generating the most activity in.

I know a guy that works primarily in Houston. He’s looking to expand some to Austin and San Antonio, perhaps you guys can hook up and you could do some work for him. I know he does mentoring, also…or at least he used to. But, perhaps bird dogging for him a while will be education enough…send me a message and I will try to track down his email/number.