Gaining title to property

What is the name of your state? Tx (Houston)

There is a large lot behind some property that I own and would like to obtain. I did some research and the owner died back in 1987. Since then, the property has sat there and has a serious delinqieuncies from back-owned taxes (not to mention liens that were placed on the property from the city of houston removing overgrown weeds). Do i have to wait until the property goes into tax forclosure? There is really no way to figure out if or when it will ever go into forclosure since it has not been paid in over 18 years. Is there any way I can pay the back-owned taxes, liens and obtain the title to the property?

Victor -

Since it has sat so long with no new owner, my guess is it has already went to tax sale and got no bids. If I were you, I would go down to the county clerk’s office and find out how much it would cost to “buy the lien”. Since Texas is a hybrid state (meaning it’s a tax deed state, but acts like a tax lien state), all you would need to do is pay the delinquent value and the deed is yours (well, they give you a Sherrif’s Deed).

Thanks for the info. I will give that a shot. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again