first rehab..some general questions about stores, products, etc.

I’ll be starting my first rehab shortly and I’m trying to prepare befor the gutting and other work starts. I’ll put some bullet points along with some questions if anyone could provide some (any) input that’d be great.

-house has cat & dog feces throughout
what products should I use to disinfect and what’s an effective way to remove the smell? also are there any other things i should do? (the feces have been sitting there for months)

-kitchen (most likely) needs a full update
where should i purchase the cabinets, dishwasher, stove etc.? i’m not looking for the best stuff, just “new” so that it will show nicely when selling

-bath needs to be updated
similar to above…where should I make my purchases?

i’d also like to elaborate on both the kitchen and bath. how should i rehab these? for example, i do not want to overbuild (ie/ granite countertops will not bring a good return on the money invested). i’m looking for ways to update which will not cost a fortune but will sell the price because of the way it shows. i saw on tv some rehabber putting in vinyl on the floor in the kitchen where it looked nice and didn’t seem to hard to install (just cut and stick). i also went into an open house where they had some plastic sheet (that looked like bricks) in the shower. i’m not saying the plastic sheet is the way to go, but something like that didn’t look to hard to accomplish and looked nice.

i don’t want to ramble too much…i’m just looking for ways which won’t cost a fortune but really make the place look nice.

thanks in advance!!!|
Ryan

I think the answers will vary a lot based on your geography and price range of your house. Check out some that are for sale near this one and see what they have. That should give you an idea of what quality to use.

I’m not sure about the dog and cat feces issue. If it’s in the wood that’s going to suck.

Ditto marcus335 but the feces, If you have the carpet up and it is bare floor (concrete slab), a bleach water solution can get it up.

-house has cat & dog feces throughout
what products should I use to disinfect and what’s an effective way to remove the smell? also are there any other things i should do? (the feces have been sitting there for months)

-kitchen (most likely) needs a full update
where should i purchase the cabinets, dishwasher, stove etc.? i’m not looking for the best stuff, just “new” so that it will show nicely when selling

-bath needs to be updated
similar to above…where should I make my purchases?

i’d also like to elaborate on both the kitchen and bath. how should i rehab these? for example, i do not want to overbuild (ie/ granite countertops will not bring a good return on the money invested). i’m looking for ways to update which will not cost a fortune but will sell the price because of the way it shows. i saw on tv some rehabber putting in vinyl on the floor in the kitchen where it looked nice and didn’t seem to hard to install (just cut and stick). i also went into an open house where they had some plastic sheet (that looked like bricks) in the shower. i’m not saying the plastic sheet is the way to go, but something like that didn’t look to hard to accomplish and looked nice.

Have you tried your local Home Depot or Loews.
They have everything you could need rather cheap.
For the kitchen they have ready to assemble cabinets that are inexpensive but look rather good.
They also sell pre fabbed counter tops.
Another suggestion for the counter top is buying a sheet of plywood and tiling the top.

As far as the vinyl tiles that will look good but just make sure the sub- floor is able to hold the glue from the tiles.

My suggestion is going to these stores and walking around asking them for advice. The best time to go is the afternoon because the experienced workers,contractors,plumbers,electrician usually work there part time after there normal job