First buy. Check my numbers.

How does this deal look?

2 properties being purchased from the same owner on the same street.

Property #1 is a 4 unit with taxes of $10,000yr
Property #2 is a 3 unit with taxes of $7500yr

All 7 units rent for $650 a month.

The 3 unit has a new roof, and the 4 unit was just sided.

Total price $300,000

Thanks…

Bax

Bax,

You need to include all the info you can. What's the property insurance? How much for repairs/rehab? What's vacancy rate? How much are the utilities? Property management fees? Reserves? What are your loan terms? Down payment? These are the types of questions that we need to know before making an informed opinion. :cool

Here’s how I see this deal:

Gross rents: $4,550 per month
Operating Expenses: $2,275 per month
NOI: $2,275 per month

Mortgage ($300K, 30 yr, 7%): $2,000 per month

Cash flow: $275 per month or $39 per unit per month (which is too low for me).

Good Luck,

Mike

Thanks guys,

We’d be putting $75,000 down.

The properties won’t need any immediate major repairs, and all reapirs small or major will be done by myself and my partners.

The vacancy rate for these units are extremely low. <5%

The current owner is only charging $650 month rent. Similar properties in the area are renting for $700-$750.

Insurance $1200.

We’ll have $15,000 in reserve.

Loan term 30yr 6.5%

Thanks…

Bax

Putting down $75,000 doesn’t change the quality of the deal.

Mike

Mike,

Rent will go to $700 when leases are up.

The seller has the properties paid off and is desparate for cash. He’s not very smart and has done a horrible job managing these properties. He’s asking $350,000 for both properties, which is way overpriced. What price would you pay?

We are in this for the long run. All profit will go toward the principle we owe.

Thanks…

Bax

In my mind putting down $75,000 down and having an additional $15k for reserve is a lot of cash to put into a $300k-$350k property.

If it was me I would offer $255k and hope to get it at $290 w/ no more than $50k down.

However, I am confused - you say there are no immediate major repairs and less than 5% occupancy, with the current rental rates a little under market but not astoundingly so. How has the current owner “done a horrible job managing these properties.” ??? Based on the numbers the management isn’t “horrible.” This is especially if you project what a potentially higher vacancy rate you may have if you charge full market rates. We don’t know. it may not have any effect. It depends on your individual market.

Bax.

Make sure you're not using the potential rents as an indicator of the property's current value. This deal has to make sense(and money) in its current condition. Remember, you have to make a profit from day 1. Anything else in the future is a bonus. I would put down only what I had to on this deal. Check you return on investment. Divide the annual positive cashflow by the upfront costs(down pmt. closing, repairs, etc..). Using propertymanager's #'s (which are usually dead on), your ROI or cash on cash return is this

$3300/ $75,000 = .044 or 4.4% ROI

You can put that $75000 into a CD or money market account for that kind of return without the hassles. Even all the rents were $750, keeping everything else the same, your ROI would be 10%.  Just my two cents(for what it's worth). Good luck to you. :beer

Thanks guys,

We offered $250,000 for the properties and won’t pay more than $275,000. Don’t think he’ll take it…if not we’ll move on.

Thanks…

Bax

Bax,

Good move on the purchase price. If the seller is that desperate then he will bite. If not, there are lots of great deals out thier for rental properties, you just have to search long and hard. In regards to your reserves, be prepared to eat into that money sooner then you think. Stuff always breaks or tenants skip out on praying rent. You never mentioned how many units the property has…Care to share?

Larry

Larry,

It’s actually 2 separate properties on the same street. One property has 4 units, the other one has 3.

We’d like to maintain $15,000 in reserve the best we can for large hits. If we dip a few grand here and there, we’ll put it back as quikly as we can.

Using the 50% rule, how much profit per unit a month do you experts like to see?

Bax

I look at my cash on cash return (return on investment). It depends on how much your acquisition costs are. Since each property is different, you can’t have a set amount per unit that works with all properties. If you divide your positive annual cashflow by the amount you paid up front to get the property, you get your cash on cash return(ROI). I think anything above 10% is a decent ROI. That would be the minimum ROI I’d accept. :beer

Bax,

I like to earn $100 per unit per month on my rentals. I do not use ROI because that is easily skewed. For example, if you put $1,000 down on a SFH and your yearly profit was $100, that would be a 10% cash on cash return. I certainly wouldn’t deal with all the hassle of running a business for $100 per year ($8 per unit per month). In addition, if you wanted to have a cash flow of $10,000 per month, how many rentals would you need at $8 per unit per montn? ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY UNITS!!! YIKES! That’s why I go with $100 per unit per month.

Mike

I guess I never thought of it that way. Does $100 work no matter what type of property? Using that amount, do you find yourself passing up a lot of properties that don’t fit that criteria?