Eviction Day

I have a tenant that I gave a 3 day notice and had him served. Court date tomorrow so I drove by. Why is that son of a gun still in there? Does he think that this is stay free house? You know what is worse than an empty house? Right a house with a nonpaying tenant. Because he is in there I can’t get a paying tenant in. HE IS THE ENEMY!!!

Hi,

Don't leave us hanging! We want to know how the story ends?

GR

Haha, residential rentals, man I don’t miss that life.

No excitement here. They moved out. Actually left the place in decent shape.

Aren’t unlawful detainers mostly rare for experienced landlords?

Evictions are rare, too. The few times I’ve had to go to court to evict someone, first the tenant rarely shows up, and second, if he does, he doesn’t win, and thirdly, usually he’s out the night before the sheriff is scheduled to throw him out.

I found I have less problems with tenants, who have something to lose/gain by adhering to our agreement. That’s why I like big deposits and cosigners. I don’t get those from D&F-grade tenants, or A-grade tenants, but I do get them from C-grade tenants. I be lovin’ my “C-grade” customers.

I don’t mind if they take a few extra days as long as there is not major damage/clean-up

This was the first eviction in years. He lost his job so no money no stay. I am working on a make ready now. Poor guy he spent most of his 401k trying to stay. He and I have a relationship. It’s called a financial relationship. He gives me money and I let him live in my house. If he doesn’t pay me he is just some guy in my house. What’s worse than an empty house? A house with a nonpaying tenant. Why? Because you can’t get a paying tenant in while that nonpaying tenant is in there. As soon as you see that he has become nonpaying you need to AGRESSIVELY get them out.

That’s why I won’t rent to anyone I know, or their relatives and friends. It’s bad enough taking care of business, when it’s just business, without mixing in ongoing relationships, the politics that result, and the rest of the potential drama and trauma that comes from a bad situation.

My church owned several houses around it, rented them out to employees of the church, initially at retail, but never raised the rents, ever. After years passed, the renters felt entitled to the discounted rents, because of the other ‘contributions’ they made to the church’s mission.

Well, as you can imagine, hell-fire and a political fire-storm erupted when all the renters received notices that their rents would be adjusted to market value.

Talk about a bunch of whining, screaming, crying and pouting, including demands for more pay, and veiled threats.

Anyway, it’s just stupid to rent anything to friends and relatives, regardless of how needy, convenient, or generous it may seem. Renters lose all that pent-up gratitude in about a nano-second, when you upset their applecarts. Just saying.

Just finishing my second eviction in 6 years. Neither in my own properties, ones I manage. I own 8 and manage another 13.

They are most definitely rare. Both have been in the same combination of house/converted garage. this is definitely a case of poor properties attracting poor tenants.

How long do evections usually take from the day it’s filed? Here in Jersey it just took my property manager 4 months to get someone out.

On a side note is it ever worth the hassle to go after the tenant after the eviction in small claims court?

Why were you surprised that he was still in there? I would expect him to be in until the sheriff kicks him out.

Did you sue him for back rent? You can also sue him for rent up until the point that you rent the place out again, as long as you make an honest effort to do so.

My guy is being sued. I doubt I get a dime.

What exactly did you receive? Was it a court document, or an actual eviction notice? No eviction can take place without a court order.